Iscsi virtual disk wizard shows no servers (and no volumes)

Hi, in windows 2012 DataCenter, I installed the Iscsi target role and went on to set an iscsi disk.

but when launching "new Iscsi virtual disk" wizard (Server Manager\File and Storage Services\iSCSI -> new iscsi virtual disk)

I see no servers in list (upper windows) and instead it just states "no eligible servers are available".

it happens on both of my servers.. not just one..

anyone has any idea?

August 19th, 2013 11:37am

That is a bit weird but i would remove the role ,reboot the system and add the role again .

But just to confirm, are Are you talking about this? in the Pic below? 

• Proposed as answer by MassonTech Monday, August 19, 2013 11:33 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2013 1:14pm

Hi, yes that is exactly what you've circled in the picture.

"remove the role ,reboot the system and add the role again" didn't work..

but there have been some developments.. I have remove the "Failover Cluster" Feature that was installed on that server, and suddenly the problem was solved and I could see the server listed there!

I don't get it.. why is that? I mean, cant Cluster and Iscsi target coexist? isn't that the whole point? or at least one possible scenario? creating an HA clustered env. was my purpose and since I don't have a central NAS I was planning on using local disks on both nodes of the cluster (which I believe have to be Iscsi virtual disks)

thanks  

August 19th, 2013 5:43pm

I don't get it.. why is that? I mean, cant Cluster and Iscsi target coexist? isn't that the whole point? or at least one possible scenario? creating an HA clustered env. was my purpose and since I don't have a central NAS I was planning on using local disks on both nodes of the cluster (which I believe have to be Iscsi virtual disks)

thanks  

For clustering,you must have a shared storage not local storage. Please see clustering requirements below 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612869.aspx

August 19th, 2013 8:24pm

How are things going? Please let us know if there is any progress.
August 22nd, 2013 8:12am

Sorry, I'm I little bit confused.

Let me explain my intentions:

I have 2 servers (hosts) but no NAS. at first I've configured a Hyper-v replica between 2 VMs - which has worked perfectly. then, I wanted to automate the procedure of the failover from the primary VM to its replica.
I realized that for that I need to use the cluster features.
now, since a cluster demands the VMs to reside on shared storage, I thought I'll trick it into thinking that the storage is shared while it's really local. (that is what the "Iscsi target server" is for right? sharing a portion of the local disk to seem as connected via Iscsi).

anyway, maybe my thinking is wrong, or maybe there is a different way to do that, but all I really need is for the replica failover process to be automated.

Thanks again, Gil.

August 22nd, 2013 9:35am

Hi,

From your description, you are trying to do a "trick" which seems not work. I will have a try on the same steps to see if it is expected.

Meanwhile, it seems the purpose is to setup a failover shared folder. So how about using DFS with DFSR instead of failover cluster?

Step-by-Step Guide to Distributed File System (Dfs)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727150.aspx

August 23rd, 2013 6:40pm

I am having exactly the same problem.  I have a server which is part of a failover cluster, and I also want to use it as an iSCSI target server for something else (not related to the cluster and not requiring high availability).  But the New iSCSI Virtual Disk Wizard says "No eligible servers are available" when I go to create an iSCSI target.  Is that not supported?

November 23rd, 2013 2:48am

Hi - I am getting exactly the same issue as well. Server 2012 R2. Two physical machines, both with failover clustering installed. iSCSI target installed on one of the cluster nodes. The other machine has the initiator service running.

The difference here, is that it DID work. Suddenly, its not showing in the iscsi virtual disk window.

Message under the box is 'The list is filtered to show only servers with the iscsi target server role installed' and no server above.

This should not be relevant to whether I have a cluster role installed or not, I should still be able to manage an iscsi target.

Any help appreciated.

January 29th, 2014 1:14am

Same issue here. Windows 2012 R2 host with failover clustering installed.
February 23rd, 2015 5:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics