Is there away to change the default profile location for windows terminal server 2003?
Hi, We have 2003 terminal server and running out of space on the C drive. We need to save space by moving the users profile from C:\Documents and Settingsto D:\Documents and Settings to save space. This way we will not need to worry about cleaning up and compressing old files every few days. We tried to add a path to the user TERMINAL USER PROFILE but that did not work. So we deleted the local profile for one user to test and still creates a new profile on the C drive eventhough the terminal path is pointing tothe D drive.Also, we want this to be true only when they login to the terminal server. When they login to their own computers then the profile should be stored locally on the C drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
March 12th, 2010 9:36pm

HelloTry using folder redirection in group policy, that may helpIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2010 10:43pm

Thanks. But if I use folder redirection it will affect their profiles on their local profiles (workstations). I just need to hange this for the local profiles on the Terminal server.
March 12th, 2010 11:04pm

Hello,What you can do is create a regular user account and an admin or tech account and you enable folder reidirection in one or the otherIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
March 12th, 2010 11:16pm

I think the information below is want you want. The problem appears this is only good for newly created profiles? (you should test to verify). If that is the case you may need to delete all existing profiles so they can be recreated.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214636The path for the local Default User profile path is determined by two registry entries. The following registry entry sets the name of the directory in which the Default User profile is stored: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList \DefaultUserProfile Reg_Sz Default value = "Default User" The following registry entry sets the path in which the Default User folder is stored: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList \ProfilesDirectory Reg_Sz Default value = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
March 12th, 2010 11:20pm

Thanks. So should I replace "%SystemDrive% with D:\Documents and Settings?Not sure how to change that.Thanks
March 12th, 2010 11:38pm

Correct
March 12th, 2010 11:57pm

Thanks. I will try this and see.Cheers
March 13th, 2010 1:01am

newone88 did Gunner999's recommendation http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214636 work? Thanks
December 19th, 2011 3:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics