Is there any limit on the number of instances for a subscription AND any limit on the number of cores for the subscription and it calculation - Any link on it.

Hi,

Wanted to know how through my code can i check if my subscription has reached the maximum cores limit reached, so that i can stop my instance increase.

(or) I could change my instance type to low so that i can add more instances.

Is there any site which says the core limits and how the cores count are related to instances count.(Latest version)

Thanks,

Karthick

August 26th, 2011 11:05am

There is a soft limit of 20 cores per subscription - with the limit in place to protect both you and Microsoft in the event of an attempt to launch a large number of instances. You can apply for a quota increase here. A small instance consumes one core and the larger sizes double the core count up to eight cores for extra--large.

The Windows Azure Service Mangement REST API can be used to retrieve various properties of a hosted service - but I believe instance size (and, by implication, core count) is not exposed.

• Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, September 02, 2011 7:56 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2011 7:32pm

Adding to what Neil has mentioned, one way to programmatically do it would be making use of Service Management REST API and invoking change deployment configuration (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee460809.aspx). This is where you would change the configuration file contents and specify the new instance count. When you exceed the quota, this operation will throw an error and you could catch that error to see if you have indeed exceeded the quota. However this is not a foolproof mechanism as this operation could also throw error if there is something else wrong with changing configuration file contents (may be invalid data or something else), so you will have to parse the error message to be sure that the error is thrown because you are exceeding the quota.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

August 27th, 2011 5:58am

Thanks for your replies.

What i would like to know in particular is:

Is there any formula like: Number of cores for this subscription = Instance type * Instance count * Hosted service count....etc...

Please help me on this, if there is any such calculations that cud be done on Cores.

Regards,

Karthick

September 2nd, 2011 9:39am

I guess you are looking for something like this.

Virtual Machine Size CPU Cores Memory Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in Web and Worker Roles Disk Space for Local Storage Resources in a VM Role Allocated Bandwidth (Mbps)

ExtraSmall

Shared

768 MB

19,480 MB

(6,144 MB is reserved for system files)

20 GB

Small

1.75 GB

229,400 MB

165 GB

Medium

3.5 GB

500,760 MB

340 GB

Large

7 GB

1,023,000 MB

850 GB

ExtraLarge

14 GB

2,087,960 MB

1890 GB

April 10th, 2012 7:13pm

Hi there
May 11th, 2015 5:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics