Is there any good way to collect security patch easily?
We have a lot of security patch list we applied in the past. We would like to collect these patch again. it take time by manual download. Is there any good way to collect security patch easily?
July 10th, 2012 4:12am

Hi, You can use WSUS for patching, it acts a central repository and downloads all the patches that you approve. It is a free product from Microsoft. You can refer to the following article on deploying WSUS. http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc720507(WS.10).aspxThanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2012 4:18am

Hi, You can use WSUS for patching, it acts a central repository and downloads all the patches that you approve. It is a free product from Microsoft. You can refer to the following article on deploying WSUS. http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc720507(WS.10).aspxThanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 10th, 2012 4:18am

Yes, WSUS is a good option. However, if you would like to know the missing patches and download them individually, you might want to try MBSA Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.2 (for IT Professionals) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7558 The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer provides a streamlined method to identify missing security updates and common security misconfigurations. Also, you can list installed patches on machine using a simple command wmic qfe get For details, please refer article given below List installed Windows Updates using WMIC http://pario.no/2011/06/19/list-installed-windows-updates-using-wmic/ I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 10th, 2012 5:05am

Thank you. For client we use WSUS,but for server we patch manually and that is what we need.
July 10th, 2012 7:24am

You can use WSUS even for Server patching. You can create separate group in your WSUS for servers and control the patch deployment on servers as per your convenience.Thanks and Regards, Mukesh. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 10th, 2012 7:35am

Thank you. For client we use WSUS,but for server we patch manually and that is what we need. In that case MBSA would be the best option.I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 10th, 2012 7:36am

You can use WSUS even for Server patching. You can create separate group in your WSUS for servers and control the patch deployment on servers as per your convenience. Yes, we can patch server's using WSUS however in my perception, that's not recommended for production servers. Production servers should always be patched manually !I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 10th, 2012 7:39am

Thank you. MBSA is searchable to which patch the servers are applied in the past ?
July 10th, 2012 3:20pm

Thank you. MBSA is searchable to which patch the servers are applied in the past ? I am not really sure about that. You would likely to get definitive answers about MBSA in MBSA - Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer forum, you might want to post this query there http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/MBSA/threads ThanksI do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 10th, 2012 3:29pm

You can allways use wsus for download and then you can approve patch by patch manualyBest regards Dubravko Marak MCP Blog: Windows Server Administration Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 13th, 2012 3:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics