Is there any USB in Market with virtual memory
Hi Guys Is there any USB in Market with virtual memory, I mean , some times even the difference of 1-3 Mb cause the totally halt of memory Copying ( transferring) ??
July 19th, 2011 10:38am

Hello Mary, If we are talking USB sticks, (thumb drives) yes, depending on the manufacture and the chips used, you can see a performance difference in them. the $16 super sale 8GB USB stick at the mega outlet is generally a good device, but you get what you pay for. There are USB thumbdrives that cost more and use a faster chipset. (still governed by your USB ports top speed) If you are talking about USB drives like the big Seagate and Western Digital externals, the thing to look for is the disk used inside. There are many out there with say a generic 4MB cache and 5400 rpm. The nicer ones on the market contain say a 16MB cache and 7200 rpm disk, thus faster IO (data xfer overall) On a side note, if you have an antivirus program that is performing a real time scan of all data going to and fro from the USB device, this can slow your overall IO down. I have 7 USB external drives that I use all the time, the older (and slower ones) I tend to use for backups when I know I am going to watch TV or go see a movie, just hit backup/copy and leave. One of my faster ones I use almost all the time for file copies and scratch space. Here are two non Microsoft Sites that did thumb drive comparing, you can Bing! for external drive compares or more information about manufactures products if you want to get more information. http://www.corecomputers.com.au/USBReviewDiagrams.htm http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/16gb-usb-drive-comparison-17-drives-compared/
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 19th, 2011 10:48am

Hello Mary, If we are talking USB sticks, (thumb drives) yes, depending on the manufacture and the chips used, you can see a performance difference in them. the $16 super sale 8GB USB stick at the mega outlet is generally a good device, but you get what you pay for. [...] Totally seconded; there's also to notice that, aside from the latest USB 3 which allows to reach speed comparables to a regular SATA HDD, the older USB 1 and 2 aren't so fast, so, in case one needs to transfer huge amounts of data on a regular basis, it would be an idea considering to buy an eSATA card and an external eSATA enabled HD enclosure and use them to perform the backups/copies
July 19th, 2011 12:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics