Is there a way to Disconnect Linked Server connection - Not delete and re-add
I have created a linked server to ODBC Data source.

It works well.  When I query SQL Server Linked server sends connect <g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="15" id="15"><g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="18" id="18">odbc</g></g> call and executes the queries.
If I wait for 1 minutes with no activity the connection is closed automatically.

Is there a way to Disconnect Linked Server connection - Not delete and re-add.  I would like to do similar to what we do in any programming language i.e

<g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="16" id="16">cn</g>.Disconnect() - To send the disconnect command to the DNS data so
August 27th, 2015 12:59pm

I don't think so

You can allow/disallow data access with something like

EXEC sp_serveroption @server = 'SWLON1'

,@optname =  'data access'    

,@optvalue =  'FALSE'

But doing this would mean that other connections cannot use the Linked Server.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 1:13pm

I tried this but it does not sends disconnect command to ODBC.
September 2nd, 2015 9:25am

ODBC connections are outside of the SQL Server environment and as such this question needs to be raised in the appropriate OS forum.

However from what I know of ODBC this still cannot be done; perhaps if you could explain what you are trying to achieve we could make some other suggestions?  Is the ODBC connection(s) local to end user workstations or on a shared device?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 9:20am

HI,

>>ODBC connections are outside of the SQL Server environment and as such this question needs to be raised in the appropriate OS forum

Raj: I think SQL Server is the appropriate forum because I am using Linked Server on SQL Server  and looking for a feature to send Disconnect command to the linked Server.

Normally on when using programming language it would be something like.

cn.Close   or  <g class="gr_ gr_117 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="117" id="117">cn</g>.Disconnect   ( <g class="gr_ gr_141 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="141" id="141">cn</g>  is connection object)

If I execute a query on linked server and perform no activity for 1 minute SQL Server automatically sends Disconnect command to ODBC driver.

>>if you could explain what you are trying to achieve we could make some other suggestions

Raj: I noticed SQL Server is sending disconnected command every 4-5 minutes when running stored procedure.

When Disconnect command is sent ODBC driver closes the session and the records which are not committed are lost.

So I would like to Disconnect it manually before 5 minutes and reconnect it so that I do not lose any transaction.

ODBC Driver is installed on the local, same as the SQL Server is installed.

September 4th, 2015 1:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics