Is there File History for Azure Blobs?

From @johnhoge via Twitter:

I have a small site that accepts user uploaded images, writes to azure blob storage. Is there File History for Azure Blobs?

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/johnhoge/status/639431153741639680 

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

September 3rd, 2015 10:43am

Hello,

Azure storage does not have a file history for the files uploaded and downloaded to the blob storage.  Azure has an option to create a blob snapshot, which will backup your blobs. You can refer to the link below for more information on blob snapshot:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/hh488361.aspx

Thanks,
Syed Irfan Hussain

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:12am

We have the capability in BLOB storage of taking a snapshot of a BLOB, which preserves the content of a BLOB at a particular time. We could, for example, use this to keep a historical record of changes to a file over time, with the ability to retrieve an older version of that file.

Refer: Azure Blob Storage Part 7: Snapshots

September 3rd, 2015 11:16am

Hi Rachit,

Thst sounds like a good framework to build a backup solution on, but what I am looking for is a complete turnkey solution. What I would love is some source control type solution for blobs. If a blob is deleted, I would love the ability to undo that deletion in the future. A little right-click menu option would be nice...

thanks,

John

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 7:57pm

Hi Rachit,

Thst sounds like a good framework to build a backup solution on, but what I am looking for is a complete turnkey solution. What I would love is some source control type solution for blobs. If a blob is deleted, I would love the ability to undo that deletion in the future. A little right-click menu option would be nice...

thanks,

John

That's the added advantage of creating Blob snapshot. A blob that has snapshots cannot be deleted unless the snapshots are also deleted. You can delete a snapshot individually, or tell the storage service to delete all snapshots when deleting the source blob. If you attempt to delete a blob that still has snapshots, your call will return an error.

I would advise you to explorer more by going through the documentation below:

Creating a Snapshot of a Blob

Azure Blob Storage Part 7: Snapshots

September 4th, 2015 12:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics