Is read-only access still allowed for a last replica that become the primary database (replica)?
I am planning to setup the SQL Server 2014 with AlwaysOn with a AG containing 1 db as primary replica and 1 db as secondary replica. The primary one will have read-only routing to read-only secondary replica. I have a client that will use "ApplicationIntent" as read-only and will point to the AG Listener. So when the client read the data, it should go to the read-only secondary replica. Now I want to know if my primary replica is failed, and failed over to the secondary replica, which become primary now, what happened to my client read-only connection. Since I have not define any read-only routing for the original secondary replica, will the db that just become primary still accept the read-only request?
September 1st, 2015 6:59am

Hi Selina,

After configuring read-only routing for your AlwaysOn Availability Groups, when the Availability Group has a failover, the application automatically gets redirected to the new secondary replica without making changes to the application. In other words, the new secondary replica will accept the read-only request. For more details, please review the following blog.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2869/configure-sql-server-2012-alwayson-availability-groups-readonly-routing-using-tsql/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 11:26pm

Thanks Lydia. However, my question is what if there is no new secondary replica?
September 5th, 2015 1:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics