Is it still advisable to disable Windows System Restore ?
My company has a strict policy of disabling system restore on all servers and clients. I understand the historical reasons for this, but system restore is a pretty useful feature, especially when the corporate policy is to NOT backup clients.Is it still considered required or advisable security practice to disable this feature? If we use Symantec AV and Cisco Security Agent, are these tools capable of monitoring and/or cleaning the system restore snaps?
June 1st, 2009 7:37pm

Well one of the reasons for clearing the system restore on all the servers and clients may be to free up space on the hard-drive (probably)...and some of the anti-virus/systems monitoring softwares have a unique way of backing up the data preferably the online system backup....which your company may be a client of...but however its better to have some restore point snaps if you have none of the services above....as it may be a "life saver" sometimes...:))if you still have any queries please do post it back here...Regards, KOWSHAL H.M. a.k.a W@R10CK
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2009 9:06pm

As far as I know it's still advisable to disable system restore on clients. For servers, I believe the best practice is to maintain a backup as good as the running server itself. However, the use of Symantec and Cisco makes this a very specific question. Cisco is, in my opinion, very knowledgeable and extremely technically proficient. It might be wise to pose this hypothesis there as well. I'm very curious what the best current practice on this matter since I recently started participating on Cisco security matters myself. If you do 'ask' Cisco I would appreciate it if you keep me (us) updated. Information is the most valuable commodity I know off.
June 2nd, 2009 5:39pm

Hi disable the system restore option in all Desktops like windows xp, windows 7, windows vista.. I have checked and found that windows xp able to diable the system restore apart from other operating system is not working GP. DevaDeva Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2010 12:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics