Is it possible to revert back windows updates - taking snapshot - complete reversal
Last time when i did windows updates my asp.net 4 web farm was totally messed up. on windows server 2008 r2 enterprise edition. i had to complete rebuild of windows for make it work again. uninstalling windows updates did not work. now i am afraid of making windows updates since i can not take risk of my website to be down. are there any secure way to try windows updates ?Browser based Pokemon MMORPG Pokemon Craft Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's Pokedex
December 16th, 2010 1:50pm

Hi, Windows always create a restore point before installing Windows Updates. Thus System Restore in WinRE can always be a first choice. This is the most likely path to resolution when you are in an inconsistent state due to an update failure. How to boot in WinRE ============== 1) Please launch system from a Windows Server 2008 R2 disc. 2) When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar. 3) Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer". 4) Please highlight "Windows Server 2008 R2" and click "Next". 5) In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "System Restore" If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command to remove the problematic update. dism.exe /image: C:\ /remove-package [the update full name] If you are unable to remove it, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions: dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows. If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer, check for other issues on the computer – disk issues, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows installation to prevent similar issues in the future. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 16th, 2010 9:57pm

Hi, Windows always create a restore point before installing Windows Updates. Thus System Restore in WinRE can always be a first choice. This is the most likely path to resolution when you are in an inconsistent state due to an update failure. How to boot in WinRE ============== 1) Please launch system from a Windows Server 2008 R2 disc. 2) When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar. 3) Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer". 4) Please highlight "Windows Server 2008 R2" and click "Next". 5) In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "System Restore" If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command to remove the problematic update. dism.exe /image: C:\ /remove-package [the update full name] If you are unable to remove it, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions: dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows. If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer, check for other issues on the computer – disk issues, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows installation to prevent similar issues in the future. Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” thanks for answer but i do not have access to the machine since it is remote server so option 1 is already unoperable please give full example command for second option is this a truley writed full comment ? : dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions this time i will try SP1 update i hope i do not encounter with same problem again the last problem i have encountered was security issue. since my web server running like a web farm i am using session state. and session state was getting lost like at every request. here is the topic i have opened after problem occurred http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver2008appcompatabilityandcertification/thread/a7267b0d-26ba-4658-babe-88afa7490913 Browser based Pokemon MMORPG Pokemon Craft Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's Pokedex
December 17th, 2010 8:46am

are there any easier and effective way like using 3rd party software etcBrowser based Pokemon MMORPG Pokemon Craft Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's Pokedex
December 19th, 2010 9:08am

What is the update KB number? Is there any error log in Event Viewer? Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 19th, 2010 9:35pm

What is the update KB number? Is there any error log in Event Viewer? Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” one of these updates caused : http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8413/session.png but i do not know which one since even deleting all updates did not fix problem problem is described here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver2008appcompatabilityandcertification/thread/a7267b0d-26ba-4658-babe-88afa7490913Browser based Pokemon MMORPG Pokemon Craft Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's Pokedex
December 20th, 2010 8:37pm

How about checking the Event Viewer? Is there any error log? Generally, while encountering problems after installing updates, the best solution is to perform a System Restore. As you remoted to the server, you can't perform a System Restore in WinRE. Then you may need to contact the machine administrator to access the computer to restore it. I'm assuming that the ASP.NET get messed up, please post in ASP.Net forums and see if any experts there can answer your question. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 21st, 2010 1:00am

How about checking the Event Viewer? Is there any error log? Generally, while encountering problems after installing updates, the best solution is to perform a System Restore. As you remoted to the server, you can't perform a System Restore in WinRE. Then you may need to contact the machine administrator to access the computer to restore it. I'm assuming that the ASP.NET get messed up, please post in ASP.Net forums and see if any experts there can answer your question. Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” i do not know whether there were any error or not at event viewer since i had to rebuild windows and setup things to get my site working asap. but what makes me really pissed of is , you are making an update and it mess up your website. windows updates are supposed to fix bugs not cause bugs. also why windows server 2008 R2 do not have system restore feature while stupied xp has.Browser based Pokemon MMORPG Pokemon Craft Developer Used asp.net 4.0 routing at it's Pokedex
December 21st, 2010 8:51pm

In Windows Server 2008 R2, there is no built-in System Restore feature included. Because most of Windows Servers are used as DCs, it is always recommended to restore the server in Directory Restore Mode or perform a full restore via WinRE. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 26th, 2010 9:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics