Is it possible to do a repair install on 2003 DC?
I have an HP DL380 G4 with server 2003 standard installed. It host AD, Wins, DNS, DHCP, print server, terminal server licensing, and Certification authority. I have simple single domain with about 125 client machines and another DC on similar hardware. The machine in question runs much slower than it should and I can't figure out why. That's why I'd like to know if I can do a repair install to fix it. Thanks for the help, Jeff
July 22nd, 2010 1:27am

Hello, what will you repair? Slow machine can belong to hardware problems, too much load and more. How do you realize the slowness in detail?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 22nd, 2010 1:36am

Thanks for your help Meinolf, I believe the problem is in the file system. I can monitor Task Manager or Performance Monitor, and it never has any load on it. I recently installed the HP Product Support pack 8.4 to make sure I have current drivers and support software. I have run HP diagnostics and found no problems with the hardware or the disk array. I've also run SFC /scannow with no errors. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the .Net framework on a weekend when nobody was using it, and it took about an hour to install each version. The machine is just sluggish.
July 22nd, 2010 1:55am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. When did the DC experience the poor performance? Do you have any system state backup/full backup of the DC before the issue happens? If you want to do repair installation of the DC, please make sure you have the backup of the system before you do that.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 23rd, 2010 7:24am

Thanks for your help Miles, I installed an eval of System Center Essentials 2007 last summer. After the eval expired, but before I got it licensed, SP2 was released for WSUS 3.0, since Essentials uses WSUS, I let the SP install. It wasn't the same after that. Despite uninstalling SP2 for WSUS, and removing SCE, it still has a problem. I have monthly back-ups, but I would need to go back to July or August of last year before the WSUS update, but then it would include the SCE bits which have since expired and been uninstalled. Do you think I could backup the system state, then do a repair install, then restore the system state from that backup and not lose any DC functions?
July 23rd, 2010 6:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics