Is it possible to disable Geo-Restore for Azure SQL V12 Basic

Hey all,

I want to disable all replication and backup mechanisms for my database (for reasons I won't go into here). It appears that Geo-restore replication is automatic and can't be disabled.

Can it be turned off? If so, how?

----- Ed

August 19th, 2015 11:08am

Hi Ed,

There is currently no support for disabling the built-in backups. For the Geo-Replicated backups we replicate them to the paired Azure region. You can find the list of regions and their secondaries here

If you have configured Standard Geo-Replication, or Active Geo-Replication and want to terminate the continuous copy relationship, you can use the Portal, PowerShell, or REST API

Is there a particular reason you would like to disable these things?

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by DigitalEdSC 14 hours 14 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 11:58am

Hi Ed,

There is currently no support for disabling the built-in backups. For the Geo-Replicated backups we replicate them to the paired Azure region. You can find the list of regions and their secondaries here

If you have configured Standard Geo-Replication, or Active Geo-Replication and want to terminate the continuous copy relationship, you can use the Portal, PowerShell, or REST API

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by DigitalEdSC 14 hours 4 minutes ago
August 19th, 2015 12:02pm

Eli,

I'm just setting a up lab environment with read-only data. Due to the nature of the data, my security architecture team wants to ensure that none of the data will be backedup/copied/replicated anywhere else and if I can't (which it appears from your answer I can't), how do I certify it's removal/deletion when I'm done?

----- Ed

August 19th, 2015 12:07pm

Eli,

I'm just setting a up lab environment with read-only data. Due to the nature of the data, my security architecture team wants to ensure that none of the data will be backedup/copied/replicated anywhere else and if I can't (which it appears from your answer I can't), how do I certify it's removal/deletion when I'm done?

----- Ed

August 19th, 2015 12:10pm

Hi Ed,

As stated on our data deletion policy page:

"The Azure SQL database implementation is designed to help protect user data from leakage by disallowing all access to the underlying storage except through the SQL database application programming interface (API), which allows a user to read, write, and delete data, but does not support the reading of data not written by the user. "

• You can learn more about Azure's data deletion Policy here.
  • You can learn more about Azure's compliance certifications here.

August 19th, 2015 1:05pm

Hi Ed,

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by DigitalEdSC Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:04 PM
August 19th, 2015 3:57pm

Hi Ed,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Ed,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Ed,

Regards,

-Eli

Eli,

----- Ed

• Edited by DigitalEdSC Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:06 PM typo
August 19th, 2015 4:06pm

Eli,

----- Ed

Eli,

----- Ed

Eli,

----- Ed

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics