Is it possible to create in-memory tables using SQL Server 2012?

Hi, I have a confusion about "in-memory" option. I've been reading about that but I don't understand some features. 2012 SQL Server only work with that to improves analysis engine and columnstore index or can I use "in-memory" tables and databases as 2014 SQL server does? 

Is there any official document about SQL Server 2012 in-memory capabilities?

August 21st, 2015 1:48pm

Hello,

In-memory feature was first introduced in SQL Server 2014, in version 2012 it's not available; see Transact-SQL Support for In-Memory OLTP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 1:55pm

Hi, thanks for your help...so then SQL Server 2012 doesn't have any in-memory option feature but Business Intelligence uses some capabilities am I right?

That question is because, I've seen that BI can use some features like xVelocity in-memory analytics...

Again, thanks for your support.

August 21st, 2015 2:28pm

seen that BI can use some features like xVelocity in-memory analytics...

Yes, that's correct, we have the xVelocity engine in Tabular Modeling (SSAS Tabular) since version 2012.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 2:40pm

An noted terms like "in-memory" are heavily overloaded. We have several things that we could call "in-memory" if we want. Among these are:

• SQL Server columnstore (xvelocity)
  • SQL Server 2014 support for in-memory tables
  • The fact that data are cached in memory and later served from that cache (the way it always has been)
  • SQL Server, up to version 6.5, ability to have tempdb in ram

It is easier to focus on the feature per se than on terms like there - which are often invented for more marketing reasons (another such example that also causes confusion is "Always On").

August 22nd, 2015 10:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics