Is changing SID necessary for a cloned server not yet added to a domain Yes/NO?
Hi Group,After surfing around the Internet I am still not sure about the need to change the SID for a cloned server - before adding it to a domain.I want to follow this procedure:I create a "master" Terminal Server (Windows 2008 Standard). I do not add it to any domain, it's just installed and configured as a stand alone server.Next I clone this master server and add this clone to our Windows 2008 domain. After that I move the cloned server to a specific OU for a specific group of users.I repeat step 2 serveral times for several Terminal Servers. Each server is put in a different OU for a specific group of users. So I only got 1 server in a OU. If needed though, I have to put a second or third server in the same OU, but these can only be accessed by the same specfic group of users.Now my questiuon:I always thought that changing a SID after cloning a server was absolutely necessary. But after reading these articles I understand it is not really necessary (security-wise) to change the SID if the machine to be cloned is not yet added to a domain:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx"Duplicate SIDs aren't an issue in a Domain-based environment..."http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727090.aspx"So, duplicate SIDs aren't as big a problem in a domain-based environment as everyone thought."Though these articles are from TechNet can someone (at Microsoft) please explicitly confirm that my procedure actually has no issues?Regards,Ramon
September 5th, 2008 12:15pm

I'm not really sure what is meant by the second quote, but when joining a computer to an AD domain it is absolutely neccesary to have a unquie computer SID value. I would never deploy duplicate computersin any environemnt (prod or test) without using Sysprep, NewSID, etc...Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2008 5:32pm

Most definitely. You will run into different issues at different times with a variety of tools if you add computers with duplicate SIDs toa domain.Don't do it.Dave Bishop - MSFT
October 10th, 2008 2:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics