Is a server reboot needed when increasing non-interactive desktop heap by 256 KB or by 512 KB
Hi you will not need a reboot. but i recommend to reboot the server after applying the fix as the previous running process still uses a heap of 256 K
March 3rd, 2012 5:21pm

Agreed, you should at least restart the process. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 3rd, 2012 7:07pm

Hi you will not need a reboot. but i recommend to reboot the server after applying the fix as the previous running process still uses a heap of 256 K
March 10th, 2012 9:24am

Agreed, you should at least restart the process. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 10th, 2012 11:10am

hi I need to increase the non-interactive desktop heap by 256 KB or by 512 KB due experiencing some strange problems like when running xp_cmdshell, (for example exe's stops being called properly and even basic ones stop working), the server tends to have to be rebooted to fix these in the past. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422 Would anyone know if there a way to fully apply this fix without the need for a server reboot. eg could MSSQLSERVER Service be restarted instead of a server reboot to apply the changes. The kb does not say if a server reboot is needed or not. If anyone can reply before Saturday then I will love you forever (I'm in work tomorrow). Cheers Matthew Ps I need to do this on SQL 2000 and 2005 Servers using Windows Server 2003.
March 10th, 2012 11:36am

I do not believe this requires a reboot. However, this is really a Windows Server question, not a SQL question. I will move this to the Windows forums.
March 10th, 2012 11:55am

Hi Thanks guys for helping me. I increased the heap to 1024 exactly as per the MS KB article but I still found the same problem - When I run any exe using xp_cmdshell using sql query analyser is still just gave an output of NULL. Not to worry, I've done this on 5 servers so far and rebooted them. I might just have to see how it goes for a while now. Thanks again for your help Matthew
March 11th, 2012 6:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics