Is Java broken in Windows 8.1's Desktop Internet Explorer ?

Is Java broken in Windows 8.1's Desktop Internet Explorer as I am unable to run a Java game called Runescape ?

The message "It appears that you do not have Java installed" is displayed when I access the site http://runescape.com/game.ws?j=1

Java is installed and Runescape does work in both Chrome and Firefox. It is only Internet Explorer in which Runescape will not run.

The simple test on the site http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp does indicate that Java is installed in Internet Explorer and is working.

July 1st, 2013 3:06am

If Java test is working, then it means that the game has issue with Windows 8.1, I suggest report this to the game vendor.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2013 9:06am

I would not necessarily agree with your logic.

The java test is a very simplistic test, where as the game uses a more tougher test to ensure that Java is able to support the features that the game requires.  The simplistic test succeeds, but the more complex test fails.  In both Firefox and in Chrome the game's test succeeds, and also the game plays.

It is unlikely to be an issue with the game if it plays in the other two browsers, and in Internet Explorer 10 in both Windows 7 and 8.

It is easy to guess where the majority of the games players are going to believe is the issue is with when it is only Internet Explorer 11 that exhibits the issue.   We are trying to keep people happy with using Windows 8.1 not turn them off (any more than they are now).

July 1st, 2013 10:14am

Please note that Windows 8.1 is preview and under testing and development, the reason for report it to the manufacturer is that they be able to reproduce this issue in their test environment and check what is the problem and fix it before final release of Windows 8.1 and this forum is also being monitor by Windows team and they will follow up with issues related to Windows 8.1 too.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2013 3:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics