Ip Address same for both PCS in our domain
Hi All, We are facing an issue with our DND server, When i try to I tried to ping two machines on our domain infrastructure using their machine name. But DNS server is resolving same IP for both machines. Machine Names are : bl03-pc07 (winxp)& bl03-pc19(winxp) , Both are resolving same IP which is 192.168.2.116. 192.168.2.116 ip is assign for bl03-pc19, But both PCs resolving the same IP. Please Advise I tried to do this using server(192.168.2.100) (win2008Server), it is the DNS server machine. Thank you Partner
May 17th, 2010 8:50pm

What is most likely occurring is that both of these computers are configured to use a DHCP address and Dynamic DNS is supported your environment. I would take a look at both DNS records, properties, security tab and make sure that each computer has access to its record (unless you are using DHCP to update the records). In any case, you would always simply delete both records and go back to the PCs and issue the command, IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS. If the registration fails, you can look at the System Log in the Event Viewer for the reason why the registration failed. Usually this occurs because the PC is unable to update the record. Sometimes people delete the computer accounts and re-create them with the same names, but fail to remember that a computer account is also a security principal and has a SID. DNS records have Access Control Lists (ACLs) and a NEW computer gets a NEW SID, so it will lose its access to the object.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2010 10:16pm

Follow the instructions provided by Jorge. Also, enable DNS aging and scavenging. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759204(WS.10).aspx Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 18th, 2010 2:29am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. Yes, it indicates that the client bl03-pc07 fails to update its IP address dynamically or there are multiple Host(A) record created for this client. If the case is that client bl03-pc07 fails to update its IP address: 1. Check the permission on the existing record as Jorge Mederos mentioned 2. Check how it works if you manually register the record via IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS. If the case is that there are multiple Host(A) record created for the client: 1. Check whether the existing record is manually created (static record). If yes, delete it and recreate it via dynamic update. 2. To prevent the issue in the future, please enable DNS aging and scavenging for dynamic records and static record (based on your reuqirement). Related topic FYI: Microsoft Enterprise Networking Team--->Don't be afraid of DNS Scavenging. Just be patient. http://blogs.technet.com/networking/archive/2008/03/19/don-t-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient.aspx If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 18th, 2010 6:37am

Dear Sir ' Please help me to solve this. One of our Department machine(installed windows 7) giving this error when user entering Password to login. user can log into the machine using cached domain (Unplug the network cable and login then re-plug after login to the system).when I’m updating the group policy details on that machine it is giving an error.pls refer THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE Updating Policy... User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered: The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domain\SysVol\domain\Policies\{4FACA508-EC4A-4CAA-9E5D-6C6C7206B4BE}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following: a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller. b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller). c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled. Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encountered: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator. To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy results. Server Version 2008 R2
September 2nd, 2010 1:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics