Introduce AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime GPO into mixed Windows operating system environment

I have been experiencing an issue with servers running 2012 and 2012 R2 installing updates and rebooting 3 days after the scheduled date / time. I have noticed the issue is occurring when the domain controller is a running Server 2008 R2. I have found the solution to the issue but I have a question about deployment. First I will describe the current group policy that manages windows updates for our servers:

ADDS Server: Server 2008 R2

Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications = disabled

No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations = Disabled

Delay Restart for scheduled installations = Disabled

Reschedule automatic updates  scheduled installations = Disabled

Configure Automatic Updates = Enabled

• Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • Scheduled install day: 7 - Every Saturday
  • Scheduled install time: 00:00

Specify intranet Microsoft update service location = enabled

• Set the intranet update service for detecting updates: <wsus server location>
  • Set the intranet statistics server: <wsus server>

Allow automatic Updates immediate installation = enabled

The servers running Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2 as mentioned are not rebooting at the scheduled time. From my research I have identified to resolve the issue. I will need to follow the following steps:

1. Install and install Administrative Templates (.admx) for windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 on the Server 2008 R2 ADDS server
  2. Create a group policy enabling the following policy "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time". I will Enable the policy and configure the time to 15 minutes
  3. Target the group policy towards Server 2012 and 2012 R2 machines only

This is where my questions comes in. I don't understand why I have to target the "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" policy towards Server 2012 and 2012 R2 machines only. I would like to know if I can edit my current group policy (explained above) by adding the "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" and link it to the Organization Unit that contains all the Server computer accounts. This would consist of servers running Server 2008 R2, Server 2012, and Server 2012 R2.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

April 23rd, 2015 12:30pm

Hi,

Before going further, sorry for the delayed response.

>>I have been experiencing an issue with servers running 2012 and 2012 R2 installing updates and rebooting 3 days after the scheduled date / time.

We can try to install the update in the following article to avoid this situation.

Allow configuration of Automatic Updates in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2885694

>>I would like to know if I can edit my current group policy (explained above) by adding the "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" and link it to the Organization Unit that contains all the Server computer accounts.

We can do this, but this setting is supported on at least Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 or Windows RT.

Best regards,
Frank Shen 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2015 11:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics