Internet Explorer functionality limited
I know this is probably no problem for old hands, but I'm building a network for a medium-small business with just two 2008 R2 servers--one to serve as the DC and the other as the BDC. My problem is this: Internet Explorer functionality is so locked down as to make it completely useless. I can't even download Acrobat reader, and even when I do, I can't seem to install it. I'm clear that security on a server needs to be exceptional. But what do the seasoned "old hands" do to make IE a useful tool, instead of a cumberance? Any thoughts? Noel Stanford Oveson jeremyNLSO CNE, CLSE, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP Berlin, Germany
July 17th, 2011 3:01pm

P.S. (I know it's bad form to reply to your own post, but....) FWIW, I have put the sites into the trusted domains but I still seem to have problems. The most frequent one is the dialog box that continually pops up to tell me that there's material on the web page that's doesn't meet the security requirements and do I want to proceed. Note I get this kind of thing even AFTER having put the site (complete with wildcards--I've tried it several ways) into the Trusted Sites repository. Thanks!Noel Stanford Oveson jeremyNLSO CNE, CLSE, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP Berlin, Germany
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2011 3:10pm

If you are talking about the IE on the servers themselves, it is probably ESC (Enhanced Security Configuration). To disable this for Administrators, in Server Manager, on the Server Summary page, under Security Information, click the 'Configure IE ESC link'. Disable this for Administrators. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vole. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as "Answer".
July 17th, 2011 4:02pm

Hello, did you disable ESC in the server manager at least for administrators? Please keep in mind that with the start of AD in Windows 2000 server there is no longer the PDC/BDC concept. All DCs are the same, the differences belong to the FSMO roles which are be applied on the DCs according to some regulations.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 17th, 2011 4:29pm

I'm clear that security on a server needs to be exceptional. But what do the seasoned "old hands" do to make IE a useful tool, instead of a cumberance? seriosuly, these old hands simply don't allow people to do much browsign stuff on a server. Installers can be downloaded on a workstation then moved to the server (as an example). majority of our servers can't even get past the proxy.
July 17th, 2011 10:17pm

seriosuly, these old hands simply don't allow people to do much browsign stuff on a server. Installers can be downloaded on a workstation then moved to the server (as an example). majority of our servers can't even get past the proxy. It's a good point. And that's exactly what I did do--I downloaded on another machine and then transferred over to the server. But, for example, I have an Intel server with browser-based management software. Unfortunately, with the security so high, it wouldn't even allow me to login. That's definitely a problem. And as far as I can tell, there's no way to use the management app from a workstation. Or is there...?.....Noel Stanford Oveson jeremyNLSO CNE, CLSE, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP Berlin, Germany
July 18th, 2011 5:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics