Internet Explorer downloads can't save to redirected folder
Hello! I've recently deployed a small network of a few Windows 7 clients and Server 2008. The server was recently updated to SP1 and Windows 7 was also updated to SP1 on one of the client machines. The client computers still haven't been placed on users desks. I use Folder Redirection as I have in the past with Windows XP, and I've configured some, but not all folders, to be redirected. Less important folders like Saved Games and Links aren't backed up. I don't even know why the links folder exists, but that's not important right now. The issue I noticed was that I opened Internet Explorer on the client computer, and noticed that if I tried to download a file, made sure that the Downloads folder in the user profile folder was the selected destination, and ensured that the Downloads folder was redirected to the server share for that user, if I hit Save, the window asking me where to download goes away, but I noticed it comes back up again, and I tell it a second time to save to the Downloads folder [that has been redirected], and it doesn't. IE never downloads the file. If I try downloading again, and choose a different location like the Desktop [which isn't redirected], the download works fine. My initial reaction was oh, maybe the user for some odd reason doesn't have permissions to the Downloads folder that's redirected. So I opened the User folder from within the test account, opened the Downloads folder, and created some new folders and files in there. All of them worked with no problem. I could even drag the downloaded file I had downloaded through IE 9 and saved on the Desktop over to the Downloads folder and that worked ok as well. I don't remember testing file downloads before I upgraded that machine, but the computer is running IE9 now after recent updates, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information.
May 28th, 2011 5:30pm

do you mean you want to save the IE downloads to default folder ? hope this link helps... http://www.techiecorner.com/81/how-to-specify-default-download-directory-in-internet-explorer/ Cheers ;)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2011 11:48pm

Hi, Please clarify the following questions: 1. Does the issue only occur after installing SP1? 2. Does the Folder Redirection GPO work well? Besides, please collect the GPMC log for further research. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=d2e99006-0837-46f6-ae86-9eabcb10fd97 Password: wBVexCug!SE Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Collect GPMC log ============== 1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed. 2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) 3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 30th, 2011 6:42am

Hi, We are having the exactly the same problem. Win2008R2 SP1 running Remote Destop Services Host, IE9, "Downloads" redirected to the user home drive. The redirect works perfectly, the path is correct, manually added files are visible in the folder, permissions are correct. Saving from IE fails to this folder as link470 describes.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2011 9:55am

Think this is a bug, and I reckon it's with IE9. See http://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/annoying-redirected-downloads-folder-behaviour-with-internet-explorer/ IRRESPECTIVE of the NTFS folder permissions (I know, makes no sense) you need to change the share permissions so that your users have Full Control. I thank you.
June 3rd, 2011 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics