Internal file copy very slow
Hi, Have issues with several servers that has Windows 2003 R2 STD x32 installed (all patches installed), and internal performance problem with file copy.When I copy files it takes several minutes, first it starts ok, but then the time goes up .. 5-10-20-60 minutes to copy a file that is for example 10 GB. I have several servers with same issue, and also serveres that doesnt have this issue, and the hardware is the same and hardware config is the same. There is no special programs in the background, task manger doesnt show any spesific high cpu or mem issues. Information regarding disk / raid:SAS disks Fujitsu and Seagate, 1500RPM and also 10000RPMServers with both Raid 1 and Raid 5Write mode: write-throughRead mode: No read aheadCache mode: DirectDisk cache mode: Disabled Server:4GB mem and 2.5 GHZ cpu Test of copy a file that is around 550MB from C:\temp\ to c:\temp2\ Size: 565511168 Time: 519625 ms Transfer Rate: 1.038 MB/s Like i said when i start copy its ok, but then it goes slower and slower. Does anyone have had simular problems, any suggestions or programs that can monitor the issue. I have looked at the performance monitor, but im not sure what to check for and there is much information..Thanks for helpingRegardsOle
February 10th, 2010 1:46am

can you get network captures on each side of the copy?http://cbfive.com/blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2010 4:28am

HiWhat do you mean network captures? The problem is not network related, its internal disk copy issue.RegardsOle
February 10th, 2010 10:20am

run the defragment tool and tray again if issue still persists than replace the hard disk with the new one..
February 10th, 2010 11:54am

sorry, that's my fault. i overlooked the c:\temp to c:\temp2 part. does this problem happen only when using explorer? if you use robocopy to copy the data between the directories, is the progress more steady? if it isn't any different then we can look at the perf output. /richhttp://cbfive.com/blog
February 10th, 2010 10:03pm

Hi Have started a defrag, but dont know if that will solve the issue. Meanwhile I have done some investigation and when i do a copy from e:\ to e:\ its very slowIf i do a copy from c:\ to c:\ its normal speed. c:\ is raid 1 ( 69 GB, 43 GB unallocated, 12.5 GB free)e:\ is raid 5 (2.7 TB, 2.3 TB free)See the results below... im not sure why E:\ drive is so slow, I have the same performance issues on other servers also, but I havent investigated on these yet, they are not the exact same hardware regarding disks.****************************** C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>robocopy.exe E:\CABINET\SOFTWARE\BackupExec E:\CABINET\SOFTWARE\BackupExec2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Started : Wed Feb 10 22:22:54 2010 Source : E:\CABINET\SOFTWARE\BackupExec\ Dest : E:\CABINET\SOFTWARE\BackupExec2\ Files : *.* Options : *.* /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ New Dir 1 E:\CABINET\SOFTWARE\BackupExec\ New File 3.0 g Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.2896_Multi100% rms_Multilingual_DVD.iso ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras Dirs : 1 1 0 0 0 0 Files : 1 1 0 0 0 0 Bytes : 3.042 g 3.042 g 0 0 0 0 Times : 0:07:00 0:07:00 0:00:00 0:00:00 Speed : 7769455 Bytes/sec. Speed : 444.571 MegaBytes/min. Ended : Wed Feb 10 22:29:54 2010 C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>***********************************and here is the same copy process on C:\***********************************C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>robocopy.exe C:\test1 c:\test2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Started : Wed Feb 10 22:35:55 2010 Source : C:\test1\ Dest : c:\test2\ Files : *.* Options : *.* /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ New Dir 1 C:\test1\ New File 3.0 g Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.2896_Multi100% rms_Multilingual_DVD.iso ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras Dirs : 1 1 0 0 0 0 Files : 1 1 0 0 0 0 Bytes : 3.042 g 3.042 g 0 0 0 0 Times : 0:00:42 0:00:42 0:00:00 0:00:00 Speed : 76049969 Bytes/sec. Speed : 4351.614 MegaBytes/min. Ended : Wed Feb 10 22:36:38 2010 C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>******************************************Any suggestions ?RegardsOle
February 11th, 2010 12:49am

I'm assuming these settings are RAID controller settings???It is most likely this setting: Write mode: write-throughWrite Through instructs the disk to write the current packet of data to the disk immediately, bypassing the onboard write cache. Thus, essentially you have lost all benefit of having CACHE on your RAID controller. You can always write to cache faster than the physical disk.This setting may also contribute: Disk cache mode: DisabledCaching disk reads and writes improves performance. If you disable it, you loose all the benefits.This setting is incorrect as well. Read mode: No read ahead .You should always enable read ahead unless you have specific knowledge otherwise.
February 11th, 2010 1:46am

Hi,IMHO there is no registry mechanism or utility mechnaism that can be used to tweak write through behavior. But from windows memory architecture front, we can disable the disk defragmentation on the drive and test the behaviorSecond if you have good amount of physical memory installed, then try disabling the pagefile to check if the behavior changes , and these suggestion are purely from my experience and analysis of windows architecture for 4 years.Reducing Paging will reduce read i/o but i would not recommend these setting to be performed during production time. Update classpnp.sys file because this file is one used for scsi communication.
February 11th, 2010 6:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics