Intermittent timeout exceptions

I'm trying to debug a web application in Visual Studio that's communicating with an Azure SQL database, and while most of the database calls are successful, I'm getting regular but intermittent timeouts with some of them.  These calls throw a SQL exception:

"Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.  This failure occurred while attempting to connect to the routing destination. The duration spent while attempting to connect to the original server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=33; handshake=120; [Login] initialization=0; authentication=0; [Post-Login] complete=31;  
The statement has been terminated."

The default timeout is 30 secs, but the same call takes a fraction of a second when run against a local/non-Azure database, so shouldn't take that long, even allowing for the remote connection.

Does anyone know what this timeout signifies or have any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks.

September 3rd, 2015 12:36pm

I am facing exactly the same and intermittent error but on an on-Pemise SQL Server 2014 instance. There are 2 connection strings that are configured to route to readable secondary with "ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly".

What could cause this?

Thanks!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:03pm

Hi David,

Does the problem still persist? You can contact me at dmalik at Microsoft dot com for more troubleshooting.

Regards

Dhruv

September 10th, 2015 1:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics