Interforest Migration Problem
We have a problem regarding an interforest migration. We have a basic setup with only one DC per domain, no member servers and currently no exchange. All domains are 2008 r2 and the functional level is also 2008 r2: We have two forests (A and B) and both forest have a DC and are GC’s. Ideally we need to bring the single domain within forest A into forest B. Forest B contains two root domains (1 and 2), root domain 2 is effectively empty and will become the new domain containing all the AD objects from the single domain in forest A. There is a root trust between the two domains in forest B. There is a forest trust between the two forests, all these trusts are validated. The forest trust was established between domain 1 dc in forest B and the single domain dc from forest A. The problem we have is that we’ve installed ADMT 3.2 onto the DC in forest A but it can’t see the domain 2 DC in forest B, the ADUC can see the three domains but only AD objects from domain 1 in forest B are visible from the in ADMT. All three DC’s can ping each other so I don't believe this is DNS? We also need lots of help in migrating the workstations over to the new domain, we are hoping that this process can be fully automated without having to perform any additional work on the actual workstations. We have a small number of workstations to migrate over, somewhere in the region of 15 but the location is remote and therefore doing this remotely would be prefereable. I've already seen advice on this forum which covers migration solutions but the problem of ADMT not seeing the domain 2 in forest B from the DC in forest A is unique. Any help that you can give would be really appreciated. Thanks, Matt Dolby
October 10th, 2011 6:26am

hi Matt, please follow the link : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19188 also is there a stub zone created in both domain of the forest i mean the source and target i faced the similar issue as i am in process of migrating the inter forest domain check whether you are able to do a nslookup to target domain from source with dns and vice versa also ask this question in directory services forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/threads Thanks, VirajPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 10th, 2011 8:50am

Hi, I wonder why you have two root domains in Forest B? The first domain that you create in your Active Directory forest is automatically designated as the forest root domain. One forest should only have one root domain. Since you have two root domains, do you mean that you have three forests in this environment? If so, I would like to explain that forest trust is not transitive. For example, if Forest A trust Forest B, Forest B trust Forest C, it does not mean that Forest A also trust Forest C. In this case, you must also create a trust between Forest A and Forest C. If Forest B includes two domains, please also try to create a trust between Domain 2 in Forest B and Domain in Forest A to check the result. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: How Domain and Forest Trusts Work http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773178(WS.10).aspx Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 12th, 2011 10:46am

Hi, I wonder why you have two root domains in Forest B? The first domain that you create in your Active Directory forest is automatically designated as the forest root domain. One forest should only have one root domain. Since you have two root domains, do you mean that you have three forests in this environment? If so, I would like to explain that forest trust is not transitive. For example, if Forest A trust Forest B, Forest B trust Forest C, it does not mean that Forest A also trust Forest C. In this case, you must also create a trust between Forest A and Forest C. If Forest B includes two domains, please also try to create a trust between Domain 2 in Forest B and Domain in Forest A to check the result. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: How Domain and Forest Trusts Work http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773178(WS.10).aspx Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 12th, 2011 5:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics