Insufficient system resources
Hi Windows Server 2003 R2 - 32 bit, SP24 GB Ram, boot.ini: /fastdetect /pae /3GB /Userva=2970 /noexecute=optoutI tried to set permissions on a folder on the c drive, and get the following message: "Unable to save the permission changes on 'Folder'. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"Thesame thing works on the d drive!I don't know how long this issue exists. I remarked it becauseI tried to install SQL Server, and received this error message.There is 2.5 GB of free memory40 GB free disk spaceKernel memory (K): Total 156381 Paged 96388 Nonpaged 60016No eventlog entries.ThanksPeter
August 18th, 2009 6:37pm

Is this server also a file server? This could be a problem with the pagedpool running filling up. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312362. The /3GB switch, which reduces the memory available to the system/kernel, also forces the pagedpool smaller. File servers with a lot of activity or PST files being shared can churn through the pagedpool faster than it can free memory. It's too early to say that this is the case. There's more background on this here; http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/07/memory-management-understanding-pool-resources.aspxwww.operatingquadrant.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2009 12:48am

Thanks for replying.No it's not a file server, but the following applications are running:- BackupExec- VMWare withtwo virtual machines- WSUSRegardsPeter
August 19th, 2009 11:11am

I think the paged pool is still a potential culprit, but it's a hunch. I'm not sure what you are able to test, but have you tried the same operation with minimal activity on the server? Such as shutting down VMWare? www.operatingquadrant.com
August 20th, 2009 1:41am

Yes, already tested. I have also tested without the switches /pae /3GB /Userva=2970in the boot.ini, the same problem.It'scuriousthat there is no problem on the d drive.
August 20th, 2009 4:35pm

Does it affect all folders on C: or just that one? Is that the exact error message?www.operatingquadrant.com
August 20th, 2009 7:18pm

It affects all folders on the C: drive. I can create a newfolder, but I am unable to set permissions on this new folder. However inherited permission are set correctly.- Backup job are running successfully- No errors in the eventlog
August 21st, 2009 10:13am

Hi Peter, Thanks for posting here. To isolate the root cause, please try the following methods to check if there is any difference. 1. Boot into a safe mode and change the C drive permission. Does that work? 2. Login another user account and create a folder, then set the permission to save. Is the same error? If the error continues on above two scenarios, please collect a MPSreport to gather more information for further research. 1. Download the proper MPS Report tool from the website below. Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 2. Double-click to run it. If the requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select General, Server Components, click Next. 3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results". Choose a folder to save the <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give us the download address.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 21st, 2009 2:10pm

Hi WilsonThanks for replying.I already tried to boot in safe mode, same problem.I removed the server from the domain, and logged in as the local Administrator, same problem.Then I started a CHKDSK on drive C. Stage 1 (file verification) and stage 2 (index verification) are completed. Stage 3 verifying security descriptors is now running since more than 3 h and has still not completed. I have no idea if it hangs or if he'sstill doing something.So I am going to wait for 1 more hour or so. As soon as he has finished, I am going to run the MPS Report tool.RegardsPeter
August 21st, 2009 3:23pm

Hi Wilson Here the link: http://cid-99af2383c3920494.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Microsoft I would like to remove the link as far as you downloaded it, so please can you give me a feedback?RegardsPeter
August 21st, 2009 5:38pm

Hi PeterN22, Thanks for the reply. Got your file, But I found there is no logs files in it. Have you removed them? BTW, you can remove the link. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 24th, 2009 5:20am

No, thats the cab as it has been created by the MPS Report Tool
August 24th, 2009 10:05am

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply For this issue, I suspect that the NTFS has some problems so the permission could not be set. Chkdsk is a good try. Considering the MPSReport result is empty, please collect the PFE version of MPSReport to see whether it works. The following is the steps: a. Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link: (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en ) Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location. b. Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up. c. Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]? d. When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Then send the package to me at tswst@microsoft.com for further investigation.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 25th, 2009 3:18pm

Hi WilsonI sent an email to tswst@microsoft.com, but I received a dsn failure.RegardsPeter
August 25th, 2009 6:53pm

Hi PeterN22, Please try send it to v-wiljia@microsoft.com, thanks. Best Regards, WilsonThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 26th, 2009 5:09am

Hi Peter, I've received your upload the MPS report. I found that you have changed the system pagefile.sys from C drive to D drive root. To isolate the root cause, would you please move it back to original C drive to test? For your convenience, please follow the below article steps to move the system pagefile. How to Move the Windows Default Paging File and Print Spooler to a Different Hard Disk? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314105 Best Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 27th, 2009 10:00am

Hi WilsonI moved the pagefile back to the c drive and I created a new MPS report, please check your emails.RegardsPeter
August 27th, 2009 11:36am

Hi Peter,Thanks for your upload. Please try the blow steps to move forward. 1. This error may caused by paged pool memory is not sufficient on the problematic server. Let's modify the registry to increase the PoolUsageMaximum value and the PagedPoolSize value. a) Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. b) Locate and then click the following registry subkey: a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management c) On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. d) In the New Value #1 box, type PoolUsageMaximum, and then press ENTER. e) Right-click PoolUsageMaximum, and then click Modify. f) In the Value data box, type 60, click Decimal, and then click OK. g) If the PagedPoolSize registry entry exists, go to step 8. If the PagedPoolSize registry entry does not exist, create it. To do this, follow these steps: a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. b. In the New Value #1 box, type PagedPoolSize, and then press ENTER. h) Right-click PagedPoolSize, and then click Modify. i) In the Value data box, type ffffffff, and then click OK. j) Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 2. Temporarily remove the root parameter "/3GB /Userva=2970 /noexecute=optout" in your boot.ini file, reboot the server 3. Run "chkdsk /f" for your C drive to fix NTFS permission, it requires a reboot action to process.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 28th, 2009 4:26am

Hi Wilson Yes, that's what I also assumed andI already tried the steps 1 to 3, without success.It's possible, that I didn't doitin the same order, so I'm going totry that once again.I'll keep you updated.Thanks and regards PeterUpdate:======Checkdisk is now running since6 hours on the step "CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)..."
August 28th, 2009 9:23am

Hi WilsonFinally after more than 7 hours Checkdisk finished, and everything works again!!!Thanks a lot for your patience and regardsPeter
August 28th, 2009 5:29pm

Hi Wilson, From the KB312362 article, the solution applies to: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86) Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312362 Does it applies to Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition 64-bit as well? Thanks & regards, Daniel
September 29th, 2010 4:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics