Instant messaging solution for terminal services on server 2008 R2
I am running a terminal server using server 2008 R2 is there a built in instant messaging service withing just server 2008? we are running exchange 2010 but not all of our users are liscensed to use it, as some do not need it. is there a microsoft application or a freeware 3rd party app that we could get to do IM's within the network across different subnets and through VPNs?
June 7th, 2012 8:50am

Hi Geig, Office Communicator / Lync is the most effective IM client I have implimented so far on a system. That being said you do need to ensure your exchange users are licensed for it to work. I would suggest speaking with your local microsoft licensing rep for information on licensing as there are several licensing options available such as upgrade advantage or perpetual, depending on your needs, there might be a cheaper route. In relation to your question on freeware alternatives, I have installed such a setup for a school in the past who were extremely low budget, although not as good as Office Communicator/Lync, it is simplistic. The server software is called OpenFire (http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/) and the computer IM clients is called Spark (http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp). Both Server and Client will install on Windows systems and I think OpenFire server will connect via Active Directory meaning you can make use of the users in AD and also LDAP. There is some good documentation on that site of how to install/impliment/and maintain it. It is simple enough to install. Just some value added advice, If you intend to use openfire, ensure that instead of using the server IP for the server address on the client, instead create a dns entry on your company DNS server (e.g. messenger.mycompany.com) that way it allows you to fail across servers without having to go change IP addresses on all clients. Also you can add the relevant porting to your firewall and DNS to allow the messenger be accessed externally if desired, hence meaning (messenger.mycompany.com) will be accessible both internally via 10.0.0.220:port and externally via x.x.x.x:port where x.x.x.x is the static IP. Best of luck with it. Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2012 10:10am

Hi Geig, Just to add to my last response. If folks at your office use smartphones, there is an IM+ app that can connect to the messenger while they are on the go. I have it installed on my personal iPhone and it works great. Any jabber compatible app should work once configured properly. Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
June 8th, 2012 11:30am

Hi Geig, Just to add to my last response. If folks at your office use smartphones, there is an IM+ app that can connect to the messenger while they are on the go. I have it installed on my personal iPhone and it works great. Any jabber compatible app should work once configured properly. Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2012 11:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics