Installing windows Server 2012 eval - why is it asking me for the product Key ?

Hello,

Several months ago I downloaded the eval copy of Windows Server 2012.  I installed in upon several virtual machines via Oracle virtual Box on a computer for training purposes in a none production environment.

I downloaded it several months later and attempted to install it upon a computer ( not a VM ).   Yet now it is asking me for a product key.   Why am I being prompted to enter a product key in a eval copy ?

Background:   I come from a helpdesk  > desktop support   >  deskside support background.  I am trying to teach myself Windows Server 2012 administration so I graduate into a system administrator position .   I have several laptops at home that I use to train myself.   I ran into difficulty in attempting to install ADDS ( Active Directory Directory Services ) upon the VM in Oracle Viritualbox because I do not truly have a network ( so I do not use a static IP address).  I mean, I have my home wireless network supplied by my ISP, COMCAST.   Yet at this moment I do not have my own router attached to the DTE.   So I realized that I would not be able to install ADDS upon a VM that is in a laptop that is running Windows 7 Enterprise ( that is not truly on a network ). So I grabbed an entirely different laptop I and I wished to blow the Windows home premium off of it and install Windows server 2012 upon.  I would then buy a router attach it to it and build a network from scratch so that I can continue my studies.  Yet, I can not complete the installation because its asking me for the product key. - Thank you in advance.

July 25th, 2015 11:15pm

You should be able to just skip it.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 9:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics