Installing dotnet 4.5 on a new server

Greetings,

The microsoft doco on dotnet 4.5 doesnt make this clear.

If I am installing a brand new server, do I need to install dotnet v4.0, then dotnet V4.5 or does installing dotnet v4.5 fully include all of dotnet v4.0?

Thanks

David Z

July 16th, 2013 3:06am

It depends. If you need to run a program/application that is developed using .Net technology, that is when you have to install .Net Framework.

.Net 4.5 is an in-place replacement for .NET 4.0. That be said, when .NET 4.5 is installed it effectively replaces .NET 4.0 on the machine.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2013 6:30am

Thanks.

Let me put it another way.

I am building brand new servers. I want the latest and greatest but also want to allow for backward compatibility. I also want to minimise my install time by not having to install unnecessary components.

In my server builds I have added the .net framework 3.5 sp1 thingy.

I have in my possession both the .net 4.0 and .net 4.5 full installers.

I want any program that requires .net 4.0 functionality to work without failure of missing any .net 'bits' (Im an administrator, not a developer) and I want any program that needs .net 4.5 to work also.

Do I need to install .net 4.0 then 4.5, or can I just run the .net 4.5 full installer and will all .net 4.0 programs work just fine?

Thanks

David Z

July 17th, 2013 2:33pm

Please read through this post in .Net Framework forum.

Does installing .NET 4.5 REALLY replace .NET 4.0 assemblies?
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/b5f69d36-0246-4c0d-b9a3-04760e78f544/does-installing-net-45-really-replace-net-40-assemblies

The latest version is 4.5; however, 4.0 is the base which links to all versions to support a unified solution for apps regardless of what os is installed on the server, client side, and end user. The app becomes backwards compatible across multiple platforms.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 18th, 2013 3:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics