Installing Windows Sever 2008 direct from hard drive?
Following the other posts I've made regarding server 2008,We've got a Power Edge 4600 of which we would like to put server 2008 on.... Few problems...- Has no DVD Drive- Has no IDE socket- Has no ability to boot from USB CD.So my question is, can I copy the files over the network to the hard disk, and then boot from that hard disk to install the server (like you could with Windows 95/98/ME).Any hints or tips would be appreciated.Andy
February 4th, 2009 3:13pm

Hi Andy, You may use USB drive to install Windows Server 2008 Installing Windows 2008 via USB thumbdrive http://www.jesscoburn.com/archives/2007/10/15/installing-windows-2008-via-usb-thumbdrive/ Thanks and regards,ScorprioMCTS/MCITP: Enterprise Admin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2009 3:52pm

hi there,you can use PXE bootenvironment where in OS will be loaded with the help of network interface.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320.aspxsainath Windows Driver Development
February 4th, 2009 3:55pm

As already stated, it will not boot from USB! Thanks though.PXE Boot is not an option as we do not have a RIS or Windows Deployment Services server set up, and would not be able to set one up in the current environment unfortunately!Thanks
February 4th, 2009 4:27pm

Hi Andy, It is pitty. As far as I know, there are only 3 options for us to install Windows Server 2008. 1. Install it from an Windows server 2008 DVD disc. 2.Setup a Windows PE on a USB drive and boot from it to install win2k8 3.Deploy a WDS environment and install Windows Server 2008 from the network server. I wonder if anyone has perform the installation besides these 3 methods, if have it will be a good news. otherwise,I think you may find an external DVD drive and install Windows server 2008 with it. Thanks and regards, Scorprio MCTS/MCITP: Enterprise Admin
February 4th, 2009 6:00pm

hi serenity, :then the possibilty is a) Ghost b) using Flash ( thin client terminology )other than these i really wonder how can you ever image a client and yes as scorpio stated external USB , with out these you cannot install an OS I even want to know other methods , i have been performing remote debugging on windows for 3 years now and i always feel why dont customers install OS on fly :)sainath Windows Driver Development
February 4th, 2009 8:34pm

Hi Andy,I dont use Dell but with HP servers use a management tool called Advanced ILO. This allows me to remotely manage the server, see the console screen and mount an ISO image stored on my notebook as a drive on the server. I usually use this method to deploy an OS, even although the server has a physical drive, means I don't have to stand in a cold server room!Ibelieve Dell DRAC is also capable of this, although never used it.Ross
February 4th, 2009 10:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics