Installing Windows Server 2008
Ok guys, this is what i need to do (Please correct me if i will be doing something wrong):we currently have two domain controllers that are part of a lease replacement. i am getting two new servers to replace them. The server names needs to be the same, as well as the IPs. i will first make sure to transfer the GC, RID, PDC, and the infrastructure roles to the second server. then demote server1 to a member server, rename the server to server1old. (keep in mind that both DC's are running windows server 2003 standard r2. and will be doing a fresh install of windows server 2008)rename the new server to server1, then update the schema. then promote the server to a DC. restart.then bring back the roles to this new server.then do the same for server2 - with the exception of updating the schema...of course.does this look good???? am i missing something????? any recommendations would be appreciated.thanks in advance.
March 3rd, 2009 9:55pm

Hi Rubix, From your description, the overall procedures seems to be feasible from the beginning to the end. Based on my experience on these kind of migration projects, I would like to suggest you several things which you may consider to perform during the migration. 1. Before you demote the old server1 (domain controller), please don't forget to transfer the Schema Master and Domain Naming Master to the second old server besides RID master, PDC emulator, and the infrastructure master. 2. After you demote the server1 to a member server and rename it to server1old, please don't forget to change the IP address of server1old to another one so that the newserver1 can have the same the IP address with the one of pervious server1. This is the same thing you may also need to note when you demote the second old server. 3. After you change the IP address of the 2 new domain controllers to their previous status, I suggest that you restart the netlogon service on the new domain controllers to let them register in the DNS zone. Net stop netlogonNet start netlogon 4. If you have a DHCP server role on the old Windows Server 2003 member server, please first de-authorize it and then move it to the new server, after you move the DHCP server role to the new server, don't forget to authorize it so that it can work in the Active Directory. Hope this can be helpful.David Shen - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2009 12:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics