Installing Windows Media Services on Windows Server 2008 after applying SP2
After applying SP2 to a number of Windows Server 2008 boxes, all different versions and configurations, I have been unable to install the Windows Media Services role from the .msu file athttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ccf6312-723b-4577-be58-7caab2e1c5b7&displaylang=en. The error I get is "The update does not apply to your system". These servers are a mix of Standard and Enterprise, x86 and x64, all with different hardware configurations. I have had no trouble installing the role on SP1 boxes. Obviously this is a mistake, and the installer thinks my install doesn't need or can't use this update, when it obviously can. What I would like to know is if there will be an updated install package, or if there is a way that I can skip that check or install this manually.
May 31st, 2009 4:00am

I am having the same problem. Mine is a 64-bit trial deployment using the download from Ref 1. I have a Quantum DAT 160 tape drive w/ Symantec Backup Exec 11d which requires Media Server installed. Ref 2 provides installation downloads for Media Server. However, "The update does not apply to your system" results on installation attempt for 64 bit full install. I also tried the other installs with the same result. Ref 3 from 2007 discusses this problem with the RC1 for SBS 2008 and resolves it with the RC1 of Windows Media. However, WMS RC1 download link is now dead (Ref 4). Incidentally, this error also resulted before I applied SBS 2008 SP2. I suspect that the SBS 2008 image I installed does not have some prerequisite for the KB 934518 msu. I'd appreciate any help resolving this problem as tape backup is an approval requirement. Ref 1: 11/13/2008 version of Windows SBS 2008 Premium Trial Software Download Ref 2: KB 934518 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/934518 Ref 3: Media Server RC1 reportedly worked for same kind of problem on SBS 2008 RC1 http://forums.iis.net/t/1146153.aspx Ref 4: RC1 download link is dead: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7c2f438-90ee-4220-81d9-fc9965b2155d&DisplayLang=en
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2009 5:38pm

Hi, Based on my research, this is an active bug of Windows Media Service. Our product team are working on this, the update will be released soon. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 1st, 2009 11:31am

Will the update simply be a new version of the MSU package, found in the same location as the current one? Additionally, is there a way that I can be notified when this update is released, or will I have to check manually?
June 2nd, 2009 5:27am

Hi, I am sorry that there is no details about the update. I recommend that you just have to be a little bit more patient. Thanks for your understanding. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 2nd, 2009 11:03am

Hi Vincent,Thank you for your feedback. Do you know how can we be informed about the bug fix ? Is there any website to consult or newsletter or RSS to subscribe to ?Best regards,Paul
June 4th, 2009 2:54pm

Hi, I am not aware that there are function such bug fix or new hot fix. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 5th, 2009 11:21am

Vincent,I am under a deadline to get Windows media services running this week..Would rolling back sp2 be an option to let me install? Mark
June 18th, 2009 7:16am

Hi, Q: Would rolling back sp2 be an option to let me install? A: Did you mean uninstall SP2 and then install Windows Media Services on Windows Server 2008 SP1? If so, it should be work, but I don't know whether it works if you apply the SP2 to the system later. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 18th, 2009 7:50am

Hi, Based on my test, you can installed Windows Media Services first, and then apply Windows Server 2008 SP2. This is the alternative method for your current status.Best regards,Vincent Hu
June 18th, 2009 10:02am

Vincent, thanks for the update. I've been running into the issue as well.
June 18th, 2009 9:21pm

Dear Vincent HuPlease help me Just perchased and installed Windows 2008 Web with built in SP2, same error can not able to install "The update does not apply to your system". "PLEASE TELL ME What to do I need Windows Media Services vvv urgently, How i can revert back to SP1 if the windows comes with SP2 (built IN)...I hope microsoft will give me solutiontoday as my services are effected..Thanks
June 18th, 2009 9:21pm

same as Iwoud be nice to get some more information....
June 18th, 2009 9:39pm

Sir please HELP I really paid a lot for lience and server cost please give us some quick patch to make it work thanks a lot...
June 18th, 2009 10:02pm

Hi Cyber, I understand that it would be inconvenient for you to use the Windows Server 2008 without Windows Media Services. If you are urgent, I recommend that you install Windows Server 2008 SP1 first, and then you will be able to install Windows Media Services, you can install Windows Server 2008 SP2 later if desired. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 19th, 2009 5:18am

Hi Cyber, I understand that it would be inconvenient for you to use the Windows Server 2008 without Windows Media Services. If you are urgent, I recommend that you install Windows Server 2008 SP1 first, and then you will be able to install Windows Media Services, you can install Windows Server 2008 SP2 later if desired. Best regards, Vincent Hu Sir, thanks for your reply, but my problum is that my Windows 2008 Web comes built in SP2, so how can I revert it back then???? PLZ HELP
June 19th, 2009 2:01pm

Sir, thanks for your reply, but my problum is that my Windows 2008 Web comes built in SP2, so how can I revert it back then???? PLZ HELP
June 19th, 2009 2:02pm

Vincent, In the interest of resolving this problem, would you help answer some questions that pertain to this issue? Since it appears that this is an issue caused by SP2, AND since Media Services installation .msu is a known quantity (within the MSFT shop that wrote it), can you (or somebody else at Microsoft) identify exactly what condition changed in the SP2 installation that causes Media Services msu to fail? Can you (MSFT) provide the Media Services installation in a package other than a stand-alone installation? If the installation script and component files are made available, we could try to step thru the installation and find the failure point ... Can SBS 2008 SP2 be rolled-back to SP1? If so, what are the known ramifications? Failing all of the above, can you assure us that somebody in the Media Server or SBS program office (or both) is actually looking at this problem? Since the handling of this issue is not visible to us, we cannot estimate if this is a problem that will be resolved within a predictable period. Each installation with this problem is likely a business of some kind, and each of us is expected to provide estimates for when problems can be resolved to echelons above us. This is uncomfortably stressful at best. Please provide as much information as you can, especially WRT the time horizon for resolution. Thanks.
June 19th, 2009 6:56pm

This is getting seriously ridiculous - it appears that a lot of people want to install this package, and either can't uninstall SP2, or purchased a machine with it preinstalled and cannot remove it. The fix for this is probably like one line of code in the .msu package, and would take about 30 seconds to fix if someone was paying attention. Escalate this to whatever level it needs to be escalated to, and get 30 seconds of time from someone responsible for this package. I can't believe that such a simple issue with such a wide impact has remained open for so long.
June 19th, 2009 10:42pm

For what it's worth, I'm also in need of this fix.
June 20th, 2009 7:06am

Sir, Its getting fustrating now, PLEASE take this issue as very Critical, Please understand I have spent lot of money just for Streaming, Bought collocation server with 1GB band width + Bought Original with lience Windows 2008 Web with SP2 built in. (more than 2000 pounds) i spent..PLEASE my business is at stake BECAUSE of "MICROSOFT", Few years back I heard that Service Packs Cause Problum for 3rd party software specially games but NEVER THOUGHT THAT MICROSOFT OWN SOFTWARE ARE NOT SUPPORTED IN THERE OWN SERVICE PACK REALEASE, THIS LINE SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY....Sir, We are paid CUSTOMERS and bought LEGAL lience, and then if MICROSOFT is NOT careing for us then its vary bad....
June 20th, 2009 7:44am

Vincent, In the interest of resolving this problem, would you help answer some questions that pertain to this issue? Since it appears that this is an issue caused by SP2, AND since Media Services installation .msu is a known quantity (within the MSFT shop that wrote it), can you (or somebody else at Microsoft) identify exactly what condition changed in the SP2 installation that causes Media Services msu to fail? Can you (MSFT) provide the Media Services installation in a package other than a stand-alone installation? If the installation script and component files are made available, we could try to step thru the installation and find the failure point ... Can SBS 2008 SP2 be rolled-back to SP1? If so, what are the known ramifications? Failing all of the above, can you assure us that somebody in the Media Server or SBS program office (or both) is actually looking at this problem? Since the handling of this issue is not visible to us, we cannot estimate if this is a problem that will be resolved within a predictable period. Each installation with this problem is likely a business of some kind, and each of us is expected to provide estimates for when problems can be resolved to echelons above us. This is uncomfortably stressful at best. Please provide as much information as you can, especially WRT the time horizon for resolution. Thanks. I agree with Chief D, this is the crux of the matter. This forum thread was not easy to come across and there are bound to be a great deal more frustrated businesses out there who are unable to deploy Windows Media Streaming. The addition of 2008 SP2 into the requirements list for the MSU package should be a simple process and be treated as a priority issue by the product team as it is preventing the deployment of a whole product platform!
June 22nd, 2009 2:22pm

Thanks to all for your patience. New SP2-compatible versions of the WMS installation files are now available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ccf6312-723b-4577-be58-7caab2e1c5b7. -Chris
June 23rd, 2009 4:34am

Hi Chris, Thanks for your quick response!Best regards,Vincent Hu
June 23rd, 2009 4:40am

Anyone else _still_ getting "The update does not apply to your system"? Cause I am.
June 24th, 2009 12:17am

Hi, Have you tried the link provided by Chris? The new hot fix is completely fit for Windows Server 2008 SP2. Please follow the Instructions on the page to download the corresponding file for you server. Instructions The download links below are for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) architectures. Within each architecture, there are three packages: Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Server.msu / Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Server.msu - Windows Media Services and the rest of the Streaming Media Services role, denoted by Server in the File Name Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Core.msu / Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Core.msu - The Streaming Media Services Server Core role, for Server Core installations of Standard and Enterprise editions of Windows Server 2008, denoted by Core in the File Name Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Admin.msu/Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Admin.msu - The Windows Media Services Remote Server Administration Tools snap-in for Microsoft Management Console (MMC), to be used on computers that are running the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system, denoted by Admin in the File Name Windows Media Services 2008 for Windows Server 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ccf6312-723b-4577-be58-7caab2e1c5b7&displaylang=en Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 24th, 2009 5:32am

Sorry to tell you but I am still getting same prompt which says "The update does not apply to your system". Can you please help!
June 24th, 2009 10:43pm

hey have you resolved this issue? I tried to install the latest version of the installation but it still says update does not apply!
June 24th, 2009 10:47pm

I find the Chris's blog. he mentions to use Web Installer 2.0 Beta to be the best way to instal WMS 2008. I download and tried. Installation failed and here is the log. DownloadManager Information: 0 : Loading product xml from 'https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150675' DownloadManager Information: 0 : Loading product xml from 'http://www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebApplicationList-beta.xml' DownloadManager Information: 0 : Filtering by majorOS: 6, minorOS: 0, majorSP: 2, minorSP: 0, productType: 7 DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product FTP Publishing Service 7.5 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?122) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product WebDAV 7.5 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?123) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product FTP Extensibility (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?220) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Update for IIS 7.0 FastCGI (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?101) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Remote Admin Manager for IIS7 1.0 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?44) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Remote Admin Manager for IIS7 1.0 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?109) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product URL Rewrite 1.1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?152) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product URLScan 3.1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?91) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?175) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows PowerShell (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?140) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows PowerShell (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?142) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows PowerShell (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?144) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows Installer 4.5 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?89) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product FastCGI 1.0 for IIS 6.0 and IIS 5.1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?105) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product FastCGI 1.5 for IIS 6.0 and IIS 5.1 - RC (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?605) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product FastCGI 1.5 for IIS 6.0 and IIS 5.1 - Beta (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?704) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows Media Services 2008 R2 RC (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?444) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Internet Information Services 6.0 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?87) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product PHP 5.2.10 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?203) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Enable ASP.NET (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebApplicationList.xml?211) is not supported on this OS DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?75) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product .NET Framework 2.0 SP 1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?216) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows Installer 3.1 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?218) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows PowerShell (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?136) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows Installer 4.5 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?81) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Product Title (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebApplicationList.xml?212) is installed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Adding product Windows Media Services 2008 (www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?111) to cart DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product 'www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml?111' was already in cart. DownloadManager Information: 0 : No SQL to configure DownloadManager Information: 0 : Setting current install to 1 DownloadManager Information: 0 : Starting install sequence DownloadManager Information: 0 : Downloading file 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151640' to: C:\Users\Administrator.PHONETIME\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tmp2E8E.tmp DownloadManager Information: 0 : Moving downloaded file 'C:\Users\Administrator.PHONETIME\AppData\Local\Temp\2\tmp2E8E.tmp' to: C:\Users\Administrator.PHONETIME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers\Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Server.msu DownloadManager Information: 0 : Starting MSU install for product 'Windows Media Services 2008'. Commandline is: 'C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe "C:\Users\Administrator.PHONETIME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers\Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Server.msu" /quiet /norestart' DownloadManager Information: 0 : Waiting for process: 1692 - C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe DownloadManager Information: 0 : Install exit code for product 'Windows Media Services 2008' is 0 DownloadManager Information: 0 : Starting EXE install for product 'Windows Media Services 2008'. Commandline is: 'C:\Windows\system32\net.exe MediaServer' DownloadManager Information: 0 : Waiting for process: 4288 - C:\Windows\system32\net.exe DownloadManager Information: 0 : Install exit code for product 'Windows Media Services 2008' is 1 DownloadManager Error: 0 : Install return code for product 'Windows Media Services 2008' is Failure DownloadManager Information: 0 : Product Windows Media Services 2008 done install completed DownloadManager Information: 0 : Increasing current install to 2 DownloadManager Information: 0 : Clearing cart Now can somebody help me?
June 24th, 2009 11:05pm

Hi Cem, I don't think there is any issue with Windows Media Services. The new hot fix can be installed both on Window Server 2008 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP2. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 25th, 2009 6:47am

Thank you for the response. The new file installed without a hitch!By way of feedback to Microsoft and TechNet: While using this blog process worked to resolve an issue for MSFT customers, it could be improved by providing more information about your internal resolution process. Vincent aparently wanted to help, but could not provide more info than this was an active bug and would be resolved "soon." That was on June 1; over three weeks later the fix was deployed, but no update information was supplied during the interim. I recommend a couple of tweeks to your bug/blog/customer info process. Specifically, the word "soon" is so indefinite as to be unhelpful. If you could have told me that the resolution was assigned to someone (or some shop) and the preliminary time horizon, I would have substantive information to pass to my customers (and bosses). Please consider if you can improve the process to provide more visibility to us (your customers). Thanks again for the bug fix!
June 25th, 2009 3:00pm

Vincent, I understand you are saying there is no issue, however as you see from my error log, installation fails on my Windows 2008 standart SP2 with the same way it has been failing. I wanted to use Web Installer so i will be sure that I am trying right installation package. What do you think my next should be ? Is there any way for me to create a trace for you so you can help me? Cem
June 25th, 2009 4:33pm

I got the same problem over here: Server 2008 SP2 Datacenter.After downloading the "new" WMS file, it tells me I need to download some update which has the same KB as WMS (I don't know why).So, I do it, it installs...nothing happens.I click on the "new" WMS file againand..."Update does not apply to your system"
June 25th, 2009 10:18pm

Thanks Vincent, the new hotfix works, i.e. it correctly installs Streaming Media ServicesonWindows Server 2008 Standard that has been updated to SP2.
June 25th, 2009 10:57pm

Vincent, I never saw it worked but when I checked the Add Roles wizard i see the role install. So add the role it is working fine thx. Cem
June 25th, 2009 11:23pm

Thanks Cem PAYZIN,Never thought to look in the Add Roles wizard.Still strange, FTP 7.5 didn't work like this.It installed like a standalone package.Eitherway, works now, so that's good.
June 25th, 2009 11:29pm

Hi Chief, I understand that it will be more convenient to enhance customer relations if we provide more information about the internal resolution process. Unfortunately, it's hard to provide such a service immediately. However, I will report this to our product team. Thanks for your understanding. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 26th, 2009 5:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics