Installing Server 2008 with a dynamic IP
I have a 3 user office that I have installed Server 2008 using dynamic IP. The building will provide a static IP to my office for $100 per month (which I think is a rip off). I have the workstations DNS/Wins resolution pointing to the server IPs which is dynamic. Will I need a static IP to make this work? Any input will be appreciated.
October 3rd, 2011 2:54am

Hello, The Ip which you are getting it @ 100$ per month is a public Ip and will be used for browsing internet or some other use. If you dont have any internet connection or you would like to host your own web server, vpn servers then yes you should have that IP address. Thanks http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 3rd, 2011 3:59am

I have internet connections with the dynamic IP. The only worry is that the workstations DNS/Wins is pointing to the dynamic IP of the server and what if the IP on the server changes at a certain point after I reboot the machine.
October 3rd, 2011 5:11am

yes in this case you will sure have a problem but as a matter of fact if you have dhcp running in your network you can bind the mac address of the server which will eventually give a permanent ip to the server http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
October 3rd, 2011 5:52am

Hi Larry, As Syed pointed out the static IP is your public IP or WAN IP which is used to browse the internet. The only worry is that the workstations DNS/Wins is pointing to the dynamic IP of the server and what if the IP on the server changes at a certain point after I reboot the machine. Did you configure DHCP on the server? If you configure DHCP on the server then you don't need to worry about the workstation losing connections to your server. If DHCP is configured properly your workstations will be automatically configured with the IP address pointing to your server. It will be done automatically by the system. Just make sure that DHCP is properly configured. If you want to use static IP then you can also key in manually the IP address and other network settings. check out this link on how to configure static IP. http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11/26/windows-7-static-ip/ Every second counts..make use of it.
October 3rd, 2011 5:52am

The workstion ips are given by the DHCP of the building management and not my server. The DHCP is not controlled by me.
October 3rd, 2011 6:54am

Larry, this is really easy to fix and give you some peice of mind. Go out to your big box store electronics chain, spend $80 for a Linksys Router, (you can get wireless and 5 ports). Now the buidling is acting as your ISP, so you would assign your IP information from them to your external interface on your router. Most good routers can act as your DHCP server so your good to go. Building ISP --- 1.2.3.4 (Your New Router/FW) 192.168.1.1 --- server and users That way you get some protection for your network and can still provide your workstations the internet access they need. Also since your building you are in is acting like an ISP, I'm pretty sure, you don't want to be sharing your information with others in the building, or the joy of others in the building sharing malware and viruses with you.:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
October 3rd, 2011 10:26am

hi, i will advice you to use the Remote and routing server instead of spending money on new router and make a static route with your building IP to your office ip and you can then make inbound filters if you want Thanks VirajPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 4th, 2011 4:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics