Installing Server 2008 on my PC
Hi, I want to learn how to use Windows Server 2008, can I install a trial version on my home PC to play with? I have a PC running Windows 7 that does not have any data that I need to keep. I'm prepared to do a clean install of Server 2008 if thats possible on a home machine. I will use it for a while and then do a clean install of Win7 afterwards... Am I barking up the wrong tree?
June 2nd, 2012 10:23pm

Should work as long as it meets requirements. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379511(v=ws.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2012 10:24pm

Should work as long as it meets requirements. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379511(v=ws.10).aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 2nd, 2012 10:34pm

I add that if some material is not compatible (like a NIC card), you can use like Vmware on your PC to install Win2008 in a VM if again you meet the minimum spec.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
June 2nd, 2012 11:02pm

I add that if some material is not compatible (like a NIC card), you can use like Vmware on your PC to install Win2008 in a VM if again you meet the minimum spec.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
June 2nd, 2012 11:11pm

Agree with others. You can install WS 2008 on most of the PC h/w however, please be informed that, you would likely have issues with one or the other device drivers and some devices connected to pc may not work properly. The easiest way to try WS 2008 would be to run WS 2008 as virtual machines either using VMware Workstation, VMware player or Oracle VM Virtual box. You might also want to try Technet Virtual Labs for free. TechNet Virtual Labs: Windows Server 2008 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb512925.aspxPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 2nd, 2012 11:53pm

Agree with others. You can install WS 2008 on most of the PC h/w however, please be informed that, you would likely have issues with one or the other device drivers and some devices connected to pc may not work properly. The easiest way to try WS 2008 would be to run WS 2008 as virtual machines either using VMware Workstation, VMware player or Oracle VM Virtual box. You might also want to try Technet Virtual Labs for free. TechNet Virtual Labs: Windows Server 2008 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb512925.aspxPress any key... What the ... Where's any key ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
June 3rd, 2012 12:03am

That's great, thanks for all your help. I have no experience with VMware but it looks like I will need to familiarize myself with it...
June 3rd, 2012 12:18am

Hi, Based on my experience, Windows Server 2008 cant be installed on most of the home PC. You should be able to install Windows Server 2008 on it. However, there is no guarantee. You can install Windows Server 2008 on the computer as dual boot, then both of them will not affect each other.
June 4th, 2012 9:01am

Hi, Based on my experience, Windows Server 2008 cant be installed on most of the home PC. You should be able to install Windows Server 2008 on it. However, there is no guarantee. You can install Windows Server 2008 on the computer as dual boot, then both of them will not affect each other.
June 4th, 2012 9:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics