Installing FIM Reporting on a dual FIM Service (with load balancer) environment. Must FIM reporting be put on both?

We have 2 FIM Service servers with a load balancer directing requests to one either or both as it feels like. Both FIM Servers use the same SQL Instance on a separate SQL server. This is OK for FIM requests and Portal accesses.

Now customer wants FIM Reporting. I have installed SCSM and SCDW, registered and all Management Packs are complete. Ready for FIM Reporting install and post-install procedures.

It is not clear what to do.

Do I just pick ONE of the two FIM Service servers and install FIM Reporting on it and in post install refer back to that one... or what?

Is there a technet article explaining how to manage FIM Reportage in this kind of environment?

*HH

May 28th, 2015 9:06am

All FIM Service functions are tied to the same database FIMService, so there is no need to install on both. That would be taken care once.  Just like your MPRs, etc.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2015 9:20am

Regarding Reporting - yes, you have to pick one only as installer would not allow you to install FIM Reporting on more nodes. So you would have to stick to one node only.
May 28th, 2015 5:55pm

Regarding Reporting - yes, you have to pick one only as installer would not allow you to install FIM Reporting on more nodes (as far I remember, even if it seems to be doable in documents). So you would have to stick to one
May 28th, 2015 9:51pm

Thank you for the reply and reassurance. I thought this would be the case, but better to have it confirmed. Good to have a forum where we can get self-help.

Shame there is no official policy/definitive TechNet article from M$ about this situation.

May 29th, 2015 2:14am

I normally install FIM Reporting on BOTH FIM Service servers (for HA rather than load balancing reasons).  If one of the servers goes down then the other one will extract the data. I also like to keep them configured exactly the same.

I've observed that both FIM Service servers will pick up the Reporting Job request, one will complete it, and the other will just log an warning in the event log.

May 29th, 2015 6:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics