Installing Any Software on a New Windows 2008 Install
Hi,I am currently pulling out my hair on an issue I am getting on a brand new install of Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (x64). Whenever I try to run an installation that uses msi to install software, it fails with the below error:Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}.HRESULT: 0x80070308I have installed the OS twice from scratch using a formatted disk (SAN Based storage), so that there is no bad files still hanging over. I have used 3 different installs (same installs that I have used elsewhere without issues), and I have even tried running Windows Update; but that also brings up the 80070308 error when it tries to install the Windows Installer. I have used the same media to install other Windows Server 2008 installations without these errors, so I do not think it is the installation of the OS that is causing the issues (I think).At the moment, there is a nice red smear on the wall and I have a very sore head from this issue.If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.Regards,Byron GoatleyIBM Australia
February 17th, 2009 8:15am

hi there,all i understand is your windows 2008 OS installation is successful and you are not able to install any software ? or is that are you able to install few softwares ?also ther eis no restriction for installing 32bit app on 64 bit OS as there is a supported WOW subsystem on windows 2008sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2009 8:20am

Hi Sainath,The OS installation appears to be successful and it does not throw up an errors or warnings. I can install software that does not use the MSI installation interface, but once I try to use any software or even Windows Update, that is when I get the error with the 0x80070308 code. Below is what I have copied out of the Application log:Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x80070308. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, assembly name: Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64"Regards,Byron GoatleyIBM Australia
February 17th, 2009 8:27am

hi there,does your windows installer service is in running state ? and also make sure the dependency is started wihch is RPC servicesainath Windows Driver Development
February 17th, 2009 9:20am

Hi Sainath,The Windows Installer service is in a stopped state with it set to Manual. I did notice that it started when I ran the msi installers. I also checked the RPC service and it was running and set to Automatic.Regards,Byron GoatleyIBM Australia
February 18th, 2009 3:30am

Hi Byron, Can you install Microsoft Office? This issue can be caused by corrupt .Net Framework components. I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue. Step 1 Remove the pervious .NET Framework from Control Panel\Programs and Features. ======================= Please remove all programs related to .NET Framework in from Control Panel\Programs and Features. Step 2: Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the pervious .NET Framework ======================================================== 1. Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and save it to the Desktop. http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe 2. Right click on the msicuu2.exe file on the desktop and select Run As Administrator. 3. When the install is finished, click on Start, All Programs, and right click "Windows Install Clean Up" and select Run As Administrator. 4. Select Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 from the list and click Remove and click OK. Step 3: Install .NET Framework 3.5 ========================= 1. Download the .NET Framework 1.1 and save it to the Desktop. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en 2. Right click on the dotNetFx35setup.exe file on the desktop and select Run As Administrator. 3. Restart the computer when the installation is finished. Then please install .msi packages again to test the result. If the issue persists, please try step 4. Step 4 Clean boot ================= Lets disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps: 1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter. Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
February 18th, 2009 5:17am

Hi Tim,Sorry for the late reply...had a 5 day weekend.But I tried the install of the .Net Framework as you suggested after making sure that it was not installed in the first place, but I came up with the same error:Description: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: VisualStudio8Setup Problem Signature 01: 14001 Problem Signature 02: 3.5.21022.08_ORCAS_X86_NET Problem Signature 03: MC Problem Signature 04: INST Problem Signature 05: F Problem Signature 06: Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.21022.8",publ Problem Signature 07: 0x80070308 Problem Signature 08: 1603 Problem Signature 09: Commit Problem Signature 10: gencomp302,{12cd OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.272.7 Locale ID: 3081Additional information about the problem: LCID: 1033Read our privacy statement: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409I then tried the Clean Boot option ( there was only one thing under both the Services and Startup tabs....this being a clean install and all, this is not surprising ), but I still had the same issue.I am totally stumped on what is causing this issue at this point.Regards,Byron GoatleyIBM Australia
February 23rd, 2009 2:31am

Hi Byron, Thank you for the reply. I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue: Method 1: System File Checker ==================== 1. Click start, click All Programs, click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. 2. Type "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK". Note: There is a space between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. Method 2 Verify the DCOM Permissions ======================== 1. Log on an account with administrator privileges. 2. Click Start, type dcomcnfg, and then press Enter. 3. Expand Component Services and Computers, right click My Computer and select Properties. 4. On the Default properties tab: 5. In the Default Authentication Level list, click Connect. 6. In the Default Impersonation Level list, click Identify, and then click OK. Method 3 Give Full Control Permission to the SYSTEM Account ======================================= 1. Start Windows Explorer, right-click the computers root hard drive, and then click Properties. 2. Click the Security tab, and then click Edit. 3. In the Group or user names box, click the SYSTEM account. 4. Under Allow, make sure the Full Control checkbox is checked , and then click OK. Method 4 Verify the Registry Permissions ========================== 1. Click Start, type Regedt32 and then press Enter. 2. Select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, on the Edit menu, click Permissions. 3. Verify that the SYSTEM account has been added and that it has Full control. If it does not, add the SYSTEM account with Full control. 4. Please use the same method to give Full control permission to the following registry keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG Method 5 Verify the Windows Installer service properties =================================== 1. Open the Service control panel by searching for services.msc on the Start Menu. 2. Right-click on Windows Installer and then select Properties. 3. Verify that the service is set to Manual Startup type and that the path to the executable is c:\Windows\system32\msiexec /V. (I am assuming C is your system drive) 4. Verify that the service is set to Log on as the Local System account on the Log On tab. If the issue persists, please try Method 6: Method 6 Import the Windows Installer registry key ============================ 1. Choose Receive Files from Microsoft on the following site: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=d8a54c4a-b233-4ef9-bbb0-40550f9902f6 2. Copy and paste the following password and then click Go. ]aroQ7MK#[aouS 3. Download the Msiserver.reg file. 4. Double-click this file and click Yes to import the registry key. Whats the result now? Can you install Office and other .msi applications now? Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
February 23rd, 2009 6:25am

Hi Tim,All the above methods were successful without me having to change anything and I even loaded the reg file into the registry, but I am still getting the same error. Even after a reboot.I think I am going to have to format the server and try again with a different install of 2008 and see if the problem persists. As this is a new server, it is not like we will be losing anything with this course of action, but it still would have been nice to work out what was causing the issue.Thanks for your help and time.Regards,Byron GoatleyIBM Australia
February 23rd, 2009 7:03am

Hi Byron, Thank you for the quick response. At the current situation, I agree with installing another version of Windows Server 2008 to test the result. This issue can be caused by the problematic disk. I suggest using another Windows Server 2008 disk to check the result. Thanks for your time and effort. Please let me know the results. Tim Quan - MSFT
February 23rd, 2009 8:51am

Hi Tim, I have reinstalled the operating system on a clean formatted disk with new installation media, and it looks like my previous problems was caused by faulty media, as I no longer have the problem. It is interesting through that the corruption did not flow through to the system install of the boot components and other parts that caused the OS to boot and run with minimal visual errors until we encountered this one. Thanks for your time and your help with this issue, as I greatly appreciate it. Regards, Byron Goatley IBM Australia
February 24th, 2009 8:38am

Hi Byron, Thank you for letting me know the result. I am glad to hear that this issue has been resolved. Tim Quan - MSFT
February 24th, 2009 9:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics