Installing Additional Domain Controller 2008 on Hyper-V
Hi All, I have a Windows 2008 Domain controller it is installed on physical server, now i want to install backup DC, my question is that instead of installing ADC on physical machine, can i install ADC on Hyper-V as a virtual machine. is it recommend and what are the drawbacks? Thanks, Agha
June 28th, 2011 3:18pm

You can install ADC in Virtual Machine. Installing on Virtual Machine has many advantages. Only thing you have to make sure is performance. Allocate enough memory and processor for virtual machine according to work load and also make sure no one has physical access to VHD of ADC. Running Domain Controllers in Hyper-V http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/virtual_active_directory_domain_controller_virtualization_hyperv(WS.10).aspx Thanks Uday Kiran, Senior Consultant Cyquent Technology Consultants, Dubai Please Mark as answer if it helps you
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2011 3:24pm

Thanks Uday, what about replication will it work fine without issue? in case of primary DC fail can i convert VHD of ADC to physical machine? Regards, Agha
June 28th, 2011 4:23pm

replication will work fine, it does not have any issues with virtualization. in case DC fails, request will automatically fallto BDC ( for this you need to make DNS Server eentries as PDC and ADC in IP DHCP) Converting only possible if you have System center Virtual machine Manager. in that case i would suggest to format and install windows 2008 on physical machine and dcpromo Thanks Uday Kiran, Senior Consultant Cyquent Technology Consultants, Dubai Please Mark as answer if it helps you
June 28th, 2011 4:36pm

Hi, If you configure a DC within a VM properly, it will works without issue. if the primary DC fails, you don't need to convert the VHD of ADC to physical machine, you can just let the ADC take over the work of the PDC, and then repair or rebuild the PDC. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
June 28th, 2011 4:42pm

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
June 28th, 2011 4:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics