Installed Win 2008 on laptop does not recognize the wireless network adapter.
Hello, I have installed 32 bit Windows Server on a brand new Asus N53JQ laptop. In Features I did add the Wireless LAN Service. However, the Wireless is not connected. When I try to set up a wireless connection I get the error: "Windows did not detect any networking hardware." When I go to Add Hardware, I do not see any wireless devices in the list. The wireless network adapter in the laptop is a Atheros AR9285, which is not one of the brands that show up for under add new hardware. Note: I was not able to find any drivers for Atheros AR9285 for Win 2008. I thought I could install the Vista drivers and it would all work. Do I have any options here? Thanks!Nima Dilmaghani
December 7th, 2010 3:30am

1.do you have windows 7 drivers for that adapter? it might work? 2. does the one on the inbuild laptop work? Thiyagu | MCTS/MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE 2003[Messaging] | http://www.myExchangeWorld.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 7th, 2010 3:34am

Hello, please contact ASUS about the needed driver. They are responsible for it not Microsoft. But keep in mind that Server OS versions are not built to run on laptops and therefore not always drivers exist.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
December 7th, 2010 3:58am

Hi, Contact Asus to get the drivers for Windows Vista or Windows 7. Base on my experience, most of the drivers for Windows Vista or Windows 7 can be used on Windows Server 2008, however, there is no guarantee. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 7th, 2010 4:31am

Thanks for your replys, here is more details: The wireless works fine when I boot to Windows 7. There I see it is an Atheros AR9285. I have downloaded both Vista and Win 7 drivers. The problem I am having is that in "Add Hardware", pointing to the .inf file doesn't work. Here is the details: In "Add Hardware" I select a. Search and install the hardware automatically. Clicking 'next' results in : "The wizard did not find any new hardware on your computer" Clicking 'next' again results in a list of device types and adapters. Here I clicked 'Network Adapters'. On the left I get a list of Manufacturers: "Broadcom, Dialogic, Intel, Microsoft", and a button that says "Have disk". I clicked "Have Disk". Browsed to the .inf file and clicked "Open". Clicked "OK" again, but the "Next" button is not highlighted. I even put the .sys files that came in the driver download into the /Windows/system32/drivers folder. Still the Atheros device is not seen. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!Nima Dilmaghani
December 7th, 2010 1:13pm

Hi, Where did you download the drivers? You can double click the file to install it through a wizard if you got a executable file or a packet. If you only got some .sys file and .inf file, you can start Device Manager and then right click on the problematic wireless adapter, select Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software to find the folder where the driver files located to install the driver. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 8th, 2010 2:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics