Installation of Azure Site Recovery Provider causing unexpected server reboot

Hi,

I am having a problem where installation of the Azure Site Recovery Hyper-V Provider causes an unexpected restart of the Hyper-V server. This has happened on multiple servers some of which were freshly built and also on both standalone Hyper-V Hosts and those that are members of a failover cluster.

The server restart is not a blue screen instant thing. You see a message to say the server is restarting but it happens very quickly.

I cannot find any evidence online of this happening to anyone else and am not sure how to troubleshoot it.

After the restart, a second attempt at installation succeeds.

This maybe the wrong forum for this post so please relocate if necessary.

Thanks

PS: Just had another instance of this. A correlating Event Log entry is as follows

Application Log Source: RestartManager Event ID: 10005

Machine Restart Required

System Log Source: User32 Event ID: 1074

The process H:\c7f30cd418c8c31e18608737cbc9462a\Installers\vcredist2012_x64.exe (????????) has initiated the restart of computer ??????? on behalf of user ????????\??????? for the following reason: Application: Installation (Planned)

Reason Code: 0x80040002

Shutdown Type: restart

Also, there appears to be a better Forum section under Microsoft Azure>Microsoft Azure Site Recovery. If anyone can move this thread, please do.

September 7th, 2015 6:04pm

Hi

Seems like vcredist restarts your server... have you considered to reinstall the component and see if it helps?

If I were you i would scratch the whole server and build it up again. That kind of behavior is far from normal.

Let me know how it goes.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 5:55am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Enough of the affected servers have been built very recently to make me think it isn't a build issue. Unless it is something that is consistent in our processes or policies.

I can't rebuild the servers as they are production Hyper-V hosts.

In any case, an unannounced restart like this is more like a bug and should not happen in any way shape of form.

September 8th, 2015 6:14am

Hi,

I am moving this thread to Azure Site Recovery Forums for better audience.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 10:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics