Installation Trouble: Zune Software: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Hey to whoever can help, I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I'm an IST student who simply wanted to turn their system into a work station and get use to Windows Server. My issue is concerning installation trouble with the Microsoft Zune software. I'm unable to install the software, as it is supposedly made for desktop operating systems like XP, Vista and 7. I was fine with that at first. I figured, "Ah, I'll just purchase my media from rhapsody and use Windows Media Player to organize my media. Well I open up WMP, some music plays and others donot. I first got a message asking me to sign into my windows live or Zune account. The window states "Media Usage Rights Acquisition." It's simply trying to get ahold of the proper DRM. However, I'm not sure what happens, but the login seems to fail and I get the following message: "There's a problem with the usage rights for the item you're trying to play." It then asks me to start the Zune software, sign in and play the item and of coarse install the Zune software if I haven't already. So I call Zune support to try and come up with a resolution. Support first put me into safe mode. They then had me go to support.microsoft.com and type in 105000 into the bing search bar. I opened up the first kb article and attempted to download this exe called "ResetDRM.exe" to obviously try and reset this systems DRM. It failed because just like the Zune software, it would only run on a desktop system like Vista or 7. The representative provided me with a case number and suggested that I call "1-800-642-7676 for OS support. He explained that they would be able to adjust Server 08 to closer desktop like credentials (if that makes sense), to thus allow the Zune software to install. So I called the provided number and got ahold of professional support, which happens to be a "pay for your support" service. Obviously paying $250 would be over kill for this issue, so the representative suggested technet as an additional option and so, here I am. Obviously I really need some help with this issue, If I ever want to listen to or retain my purchased music. I don't care what way we end up going about this... getting my DRM access to work or my preferred method, getting the Zune software to install. All-in-all, Thanks,
March 31st, 2011 7:29pm

Hi, According to the following page, the Zune software won't work on versions of Windows earlier than Windows XP SP3, any 64-bit version of Windows XP, or any version of Windows Server. http://www.zune.net/en-ww/pcreqs.htm Therefore, if you would like to use Zune software, please install it on the following systems: Microsoft Windows 7 (Windows 7 N editions require Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N), Windows Vista (all editions), Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (Home, Professional, Tablet PC, or Media Center Edition 2005 with Rollup Update 2), or Mac OS X with Boot Camp running Windows 7 or Windows Vista. Tim Quan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2011 11:11pm

Hey Tim, Sorry Tim, but that doesn't solve my issue. I'll continue to search for a resolution and post it here once solved. Thanks,SpiritSplit
March 31st, 2011 11:18pm

When you use an application, please mark sure to follow its software and hardware requirements.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2011 1:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics