Install of SCVMM 2012 w/ SP1 on Windows Server 2012 - Hardware Management WinRM Error

I am installing SCVMM 2012 w/SP1 on a new Windows Server 2012 VM (under Hyper-V). The setup fails with this error:

A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server ACSVMM1.alton.school.com  .WinRM: URL: [http://acsvmm1.alton.school.com:5985], Verb: [INVOKE], Method: [AssociateLibrary], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/AgentManagement]
Check that WinRM is installed and running on server ACSVMM1.alton.school.com. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult".

I don't know much about WinRM, but it is configured on this server. The bits of research I have found indicate that I may need to change this to listen on Port 80 - is that the case, and what command would I use?

winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener
Listener [Source="GPO"]
    Address = *
    Transport = HTTP
    Port = 5985
    Hostname
    Enabled = true
    URLPrefix = wsman
    CertificateThumbprint
    ListeningOn = 10.5.0.31, 127.0.0.1

Remote Management is enabled in Server Manager.

I also see this error in Event Viewer:

ACSVMM1 10016 Error Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM System 1/31/2013 2:01:36 PM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{05D1D5D8-18D1-4B83-85ED-A0F99D53C885}
 and APPID
{AD65A69D-3831-40D7-9629-9B0B50A93843}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

January 31st, 2013 7:42pm

I got it working - I'm not sure which of these two steps was the key, but I tried:

1. winrm set winrm/config/Client/DefaultPorts @{HTTP="80"}
  2. Disabling a GPO which enables PowerShell remote access (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Remote Management (WinRM) -> WinRM Service -> Allow automatic configuration of listeners (was enabled) ).

Between the two, one of them worked. I don't really understand why, can anyone enlighten me as to why having WinRM already enabled seems to cause this issue?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2013 2:42pm

I got it working - I'm not sure which of these two steps was the key, but I tried:

2. Disabling a GPO which enables PowerShell remote access (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Remote Management (WinRM) -> WinRM Service -> Allow automatic configuration of listeners (was enabled) ).

Between the two, one of them worked. I don't really understand why, can anyone enlighten me as to why having WinRM already enabled seems to cause this issue?

I'm installing SCVMM under a fresh Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and I've got the same issue. I've tried your steps, but it doesn't work for me.

The VMM SetupWizard Log says:

• Carmine error was: HostAgentWSManError (2927); HR: 0x80338113
  • The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol.

I tried the following commands:

winrm id -r:localhost:5985
The result was ok
winrm id -r:plog.ghenn.shs.net:5985
The result was the same message as in the SetupWizard log: The WinRM client sent a request ... Error Number: -2144108269 0x8033113

WinRM IIS Extension is installed and the Listener looks identical, but without the 127.0.0.1 value in ListeningOn.

Does anyone have any additional hints?

March 28th, 2013 3:20pm

EDIT:

After pinging plog.ghenn.shs.net:5985, I determined that that the replies came from an default IPv6 adress.

After disabling IPv6 the installation works fine for me.

March 28th, 2013 6:50pm

I did have same issue.

1) winrm set winrm/config/Client/DefaultPorts @{HTTP="80"} did not work

2) Disabling a GPO which enables PowerShell remote access (Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Remote Management (WinRM) -> WinRM Service -> Allow automatic configuration of listeners (was enabled) ). did not work

3) Disabling IPV6 by network connections AND a GPO worked for me!

April 24th, 2013 12:30pm

Hi,

I am having the same issues here either.

1. did not help, i dont think this would have anyway

2. It is a brand new 2012 environment, so why I am not having this GPO in place

3. IPv6 is disabled tho GPO and localy

still winrm gives and error and I cant install SCVMM2012. 

someone any more idea?

thank you

May 3rd, 2013 7:18am

Try disabling Ipv6 by Network control Panel AND doing the registry-setting to disable IPv6!
May 4th, 2013 7:24am

Try disabling Ipv6 by Network control Panel AND doing the registry-setting to disable IPv6!
IPv6 is disabled for all adapters including localhost loopback (tho GPO)
May 14th, 2013 6:51am

Hi,

I had this same issue in our live environment.  I tried the steps listed below but to no avail.

Then - I remembered an issue we have where some of our domain accounts Kerberos tokens are too big ( > 16K in size - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970875/en-us for more details), and I was installing with one such account.

We already had GPO to correct this, but the computer object was still in the Computers container and the GPO wasn't applied at that level.  A move of the object, gpupdate /force, a reboot, and voil!  All was right in the world and the install went through without issues.

Stuart

• Edited by Stuart Clarkson Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:53 PM missed the reboot!
July 23rd, 2013 4:48pm

Hi,

I had this same issue in our live environment.  I tried the steps listed below but to no avail.

Then - I remembered an issue we have where some of our domain accounts Kerberos tokens are too big ( > 16K in size - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970875/en-us for more details), and I was installing with one such account.

We already had GPO to correct this, but the computer object was still in the Computers container and the GPO wasn't applied at that level.  A move of the object, gpupdate /force, a reboot, and voil!  All was right in the world and the install went through without issues.

Stuart

Hi,

Stuart

We got this message suddenly, and all of the library items went "Missing", although they were all still there.  Then when we tried to reinstall VMM, we got the screenshot above. We found that the underlying WMI was corrupt and did the following to rebuild WMI.  Then VMM reinstalled successfully. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/04/13/wmi-rebuilding-the-wmi-repository.aspx (under Actions to Try)

February 26th, 2015 10:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics