Incorrect DST start date - Server 2008
Actually, this is a moot point now. Just as an exercise, I went in and changed the server's time zone to Pacific time and then changed it back to Mountain time and now it correctly recognizes that we are in DST - instead of the clock applet showing when DST will start, it's now showing when it will end. So I guess we'll just have to chalk this up to a ghost in the machine.
March 23rd, 2012 4:30pm

Huh, I guess I don't understand the point of a tool like TZEdit if it edits information that the computer isn't actually using. I've looked at the registry keys you mention and they are in place, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with the binary data in the TZI key. Update 2633952 is already listed as having been installed, but I downloaded and ran it again anyway. Got a dialog that said the update didn't apply to that system (presumably because it was already installed). And I guess I'm a little unclear on why this would even be an issue anyway. The Bush administration changed the start date of US DST well before Server 2008 was even released (2005, I believe), so Server 2008 SHOULD have installed out-of-the-box with the new rule, regardless of any updates. We have no scripts or GPOs that have anything to do with time zones, but as I mentioned, this is the ONLY one of over a couple dozen servers that doesn't have the right DST starting date. It's not an essential server, so I may just ride it out and stop caring, but this kind of thing does get to be highly annoying.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 9:17am

Actually, this is a moot point now. Just as an exercise, I went in and changed the server's time zone to Pacific time and then changed it back to Mountain time and now it correctly recognizes that we are in DST - instead of the clock applet showing when DST will start, it's now showing when it will end. So I guess we'll just have to chalk this up to a ghost in the machine.
April 7th, 2012 9:33am

All of the rest of our machines appear to have the correct time, but I have one Server 2008 Standard 32-bit machine, fully patched, that does not. When I bring up the clock and time zone applet, it says: "Daylight Saving Time begins on Sunday, April 01, 2012..." Obviously this is not correct, but as I mentioned this machine is fully patched. So I downloaded TZEdit and was going to manually correct this, except that TZEdit shows the correct information: "Second Sunday of March..." Anyone have an explanation?
April 7th, 2012 12:17pm

Hi, Daylight saving time implementation varies from country to country. Some countries may not observe daylight saving time, whereas other countries may change the start dates and end dates for daylight saving time every year.Please refer the following links to troubleshoot this issue: How to configure daylight saving time for Microsoft Windows operating systems http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387/ Daylight saving time (DST) update for Chile is now available. http://blogs.technet.com/b/latam/archive/2012/03/08/daylight-saving-time-dst-update-for-chile-is-now-available.aspx If the issue persist, please descript the issue more clearly, which Time Zone in use? Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng TechNetSubscriber Support If you are TechNetSubscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Elytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
April 7th, 2012 11:04pm

Right, but my point is that TZEdit, run on this particular machine, shows one start date for Mountain Time Zone and the clock applet shows another. My understanding of TZEdit is that it's pulling the registry information that the computer uses, so how, on the same machine, are these two things showing something different for the same exact time zone? And even beyond all that, with all available patches applied, why is the DST start date wrong in the first place? The updates are supposed to keep that, you know, updated. Specifically the time zone is "(UTC -07:00 Mountain Time (US & Canada)".
April 7th, 2012 11:16pm

Hi, According to the description, I understand that the DST noticed the issue but Tzedit can see the correct configuration. If there is anything misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know. actually TZedit doesn't reflect the dynamic DST, its related registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Mountain Standard Time\TZI Please try to install the update 2633952 to test: December 2011 cumulative time zone update for Windows operating systems http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2633952 please verify the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Mountain Standard Time\Dynamic DST] is set to correct. Please verify there is no GPO or a Startup Script to modify the registry key. Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng TechNetSubscriber Support If you are TechNetSubscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here. Elytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
April 8th, 2012 1:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics