In need of some very basic help
Our small company networks have, until now, consisted of very basic XP Pro "servers" used primarily to share resources. With the coming of Windows 7 and Server 2008, I'm thinking that a company-wide update is finally desirable. (music to Microsoft ears, I'll bet) I've done very well keeping things running for the past many years with little more than a forum question here and there. However, this is my first foray into any MS 'server' OS and I'm finding it a daunting learning curve. I've already purchased several very large and heavy books on server admin, etc., but I never realized how complex the server OS's appear to be as opposed to the clients. While I'm feeling very comfortable and positive about transitioning to Win7, it's another story entirely for Server.Aside from taking a leave of absence to go back to school for a few months, can anyone provide any suggestions in the way of simplified (very simplified, please) information on getting a very basic server up and running for a small network of ten or so client computers. For example, I'm perplexed right of the bat with server "roles" but, make no mistake, that is just the first of many perplexing issues. Is there any way to pare this whole server thing down to the bare essentials? Am I trying needlessly to bring our networks into this century using the wrong software? Should I just install Win7 (whatever the business version winds up being called) and continue to operate the networks as I have been. I'm interested, naturally, in protecting network data as much as possible, but I'm sure feeling like Server is overkill. If I'm wrong, please let me know and point me in an enlightening direction. Or, if the whole thing is going to be hopelessly beyond me at every step, give it to me straight. Better to suck it up now than waste weeks or months on a fruitless endeavor, right?TIA
June 19th, 2009 12:27am

Hi Hfox, I would suggest looking into Windows Server 2008 Small Business Server, commonly called SBS. This server is specifically made up for smaller businesses of 25 or less computers. (MS probably has a different number). If you are only working with 10 or so clients, SBS will work very well for you. The benefits of using the server are many to YOU. Only one place to change a password, rather then on every computer will just save you time and effort. I would fully recommend going with the server/domain aspect rather then workgroups. Everything you need a server to do (DHCP, DNS, File share, Printer share, Authentication) SBS does and is fairly easy to setup. Most likely the books you are looking at are for Windows 2008 Enterprise which is for corporations of 500 computers and more. Over kill for what you are looking for. http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/default.aspx Look this over, decide if it will do what you want. I think it will be a good fit for your needs.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2009 12:36am

Hello,i agree with Scotty1212 about using SBS. But the limit is 75 users in SBS and if you need some more then you can choose EBS up to 300. If you are not coming over 15 you can use the Windows Foundation server as a basic startup. This all depends also on the needed software packages for your company.SBS:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/small-business.aspxEBS:http://www.microsoft.com/ebs/en/us/default.aspxFoundation server:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/foundation.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2009 12:55am

Scotty (and Meinolf),Thanks for the response. The OS version I've been looking into was 2008 "Standard", although, you're probably correct that the books I've been studying are intended for ALL versions up to Enterprise.I'll check out the info on SBS for sure, since your description sounds like it might be better suited for our needs and circumstances.Thanks again and best regards,Howard
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2009 5:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics