In need of assistance

I know very little about computers and from what I can tell, someone has turned my new laptop into a server(?) HP told me to junk the laptop and I thought I would reach out and see if there is anyone who can help me gain control of my computer.  I have had this one for 2 months and have only been able to use it a handful of times.  This has been going on for the past year and, I am fed up.  I would appreciate and help/advice.  Thank you so much.

Amy

December 19th, 2014 8:39pm

Can you give some more information about the issue you are seeing? Errors? Warning notes? If you feel the laptop has been compromised, it may just make sense to delete the harddisk and install a new operating system. As long as the hardware is what you want and is fast enough, then starting over again might be the best. The issue would be if there are any pictures or data you want protected. A local PC shop, Best Buy Geek Squad, Fry's Electronics or other PC service company might be able to help you if starting over is beyond your technical abilities.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2014 9:49pm

Did you call HP -- or did they call you?  Fake technical support calls are a common scam these days; they play on people who "know very little about computers." These scammers make cold calls to random people, claiming they can see over the internet that the user's computer is infected.  They point to common features in Windows (for instance, Windows includes a background program called SERVER that's always running) and say, "That proves you have viruses."  Their goal is for the user to install "tools" to help "tech support" fix the non-existent problem; in reality, they want to install software to take over your computer.  If you've been a victim of such a tech-support scam, you'll probably have to get the sort of help Mark Cooper recommends.

December 19th, 2014 10:57pm

I want to thank you for your reply.  I tried so hard to get back to this topic, after I posted the original thread.  Unfortunately, I am still dealing with the same issue.  I know for sure that I am running a server with several operating systems installed.  I have tried everything I know of to eliminate the problem, including installing a new hard drive.  This is someone I know, or someone who is completely bored with life.  The abuse continues no matter what I do.  I have zero priavcy. HP has told me to junk the computer, unfortunately, that doesnt "junk" the issue.  It is like a nasty spider web that has spun its way through all electronics in my home.  This is a person who needs to be tracked down and strung up!  :P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2015 7:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics