In Server 2008 R2, is there a way to assign both a static and dynamic IP to an adapter?
I'm in the process of building a hyperV machine that runs as its own isolated domain for Lync development. I've got the host OS set up as a DC with the "lyncdev.local" domain, and my plan is to set up Lync, exchange, etc as VMs. I've built the same kind of setup before for testing, but the difference here is with networking-because this is all on a laptop, I'd like to be able to connect to different networks. Right now, I have the network adapter set up with two static IP addresses: 192.168.1.110 (for my home network), and 10.0.146.1 for the internal virtual network. I've set up guests with 10.0.146.X addresses, and created the DNS records on the host's DNS server. So far, this works when I'm on my home network, but if I take this machine elsewhere, I won't be able to get any external network connectivity. Is there any way to have an adapter set up with BOTH a DHCP address, as well as an additional static address? I'd still like to be able to listen on 10.0.146.1, but also have a DHCP address to get out to the internet.
February 4th, 2012 9:30am

The easiest way is probably to the following. Go to your IP settings on your adapter and configure your adapter for DHCP. Check to ensure that you are getting a DHCP address from your DHCP network. Then click on the Alternate Configuration tab in your TCPIP properties. In this tab you can enter the static address that you wish to use. If you are not on a DHCP network, the alternate address will automatically configure on your NIC if a DHCP address is not received. Hope this helps and good luck.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2012 11:30am

Actually, I found a different solution that takes advantage of only needing the static IP in hyperV: Create a virtual adapter for the hyperV machines Set the physical adapter to DHCP Share the physical adapter's connection with the virtual one using Internet Connection Sharing Set the virtual adapter's IP address to the static IP (10.0.146.1). Also set the same address for DNS so local queries work when disconneted. The only catch here is not being able to share both the wired and wireless connections, but it's still better than nothing. It means getting the VMs on the internet if it's available, and if not, then everything still works locally.
February 4th, 2012 3:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics