Importing lists from 2nd SCSM instance
I have a SCSM System that has been customized for a Lab environment but some of the customizations for Lists (Change Area, etc) have been extensively customized and I want to transfer that list over to a new production system. Since it is tied to a sealed MP that is not the correct process (I assume these customization are not stored directly in the MP) So is there a way to export/import?
  • Edited by KevinQMSFT Friday, January 03, 2014 1:03 AM
January 3rd, 2014 4:03am

Hi Kevin,

When you add list items to an out-of-box list, yes, those list items get stored in a sealed Management Pack that cannot be transferred to another environment. 

Best practice for list items, whether out-of-box or custom list items is to store them in a custom MP.  I usually put the actual list items in unsealed MPs so the list items can be deleted later on, if needed.  You can refer to the MP guidelines in the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh519659.aspx

There really isn't a super easy way to add these list items to a custom MP, since it pretty much involves modifying the XML directly.  You could use the Enum Creator to help you create these MPs.  Once you have your MP of custom list items, than you can export/import into any environment you like.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/02/10/create-list-items-in-bulk-using-enumcreator-xlsx.aspx

I hope this helps

- Christopher

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 3rd, 2014 8:02am

Christopher, I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting what you said, but you cannot use the console to modify sealed MPs. Any customizations you make to an out-of-the-box enumeration (list), using the console, are stored in an unsealed MP. The trick is figuring out which unsealed MP they're stored in.

Out-of-the-box list customizations can be easily transfered to another environment by exporting the unsealed MP in which they exist, and importing it into the new environment.

January 3rd, 2014 6:25pm

Thanks Aaron, and you are correct, those list items do get stored in the "Configuration" MPs for the individual areas, which are unsealed.

I still do feel that best practice is to store them in a custom MP, that way you know where all of your custom list items (whether an out-of-box list or custom list) are and it puts separation between what MS has built and what each organization builds.

- Christopher

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 3rd, 2014 7:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics