Importing attribute from a CSV to AD for multiple users

Hi All,

I have searched around for an answer to this and tried it on our test domain with a test CSV file, but can't get it to work. So I apologize if the answer is out there, but I'm unable to get this resolved. What I have is a CSV file with two columns at the top "USER_NAME" and "ExtensionAttribute1". Below the two columns are data for many users, the USER_NAME is their sAMAccountName and the ExtensionAttribute1 is a value (PIN #) that I want to go in their ExtensionAttribute1 attribute. I am using Import-CSV. I created 5 test accounts on our test domain so I could test this. I'm trying to run this from the active directory powershell module.

I can run import-CSV C:\testimport.csv and get the output of the file fine. Then I run this next powershell command and just get a prompt like this and nothing else, <<

Import-CSV C:\Testimport.csv | foreach{
Get-ADUser -Filter {(sAMAccountName -eq $_.USER_NAME) | Set-ADUser -extensionAttribute1 $_.extensionAttribute1

Do I need to run part of this command first and then the second part of the command after? Or can I run it all at once, but I'm messing something up? I ask this because when I run the command, like I said, I get this "<<" but no errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can provide any more information that you may need.

Thanks!

-Scott

January 12th, 2014 6:56am

Your answer should work...I think you are missing the closing brace for the filter parameter's argument:
Import-CSV C:\Testimport.csv | foreach{
Get-ADUser -Filter {(sAMAccountName -eq $_.USER_NAME)} | Set-ADUser -extensionAttribute1 $_.extensionAttribute1
What is the ExtensionAttribute1 ? Is it literally the same or you just mentioned a dummy attribute ?
Coz there is no -ExtensionAttribute1 parameter for Set-ADUser.
So I guess you will have to use the -add or -replace parameters....You can find more help by issuing Help Set-ADUser -online from your PowerShell console.

Hope
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2014 7:03am

Thanks a lot for the info! I tried it with the closing brace and I'm getting the same thing, just a "<<" and nothing. I check the attributes and nothing is populated. Do I need to run the Import-CSV C:\TestImport.CSV | foreach{ before I run the other command, or can I run the whole command at once under the active directory module for powershell? Thanks again for the help!
January 12th, 2014 7:14am

THIS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. 

##########################

$thelist = import-csv c:\testimport.csv | foreach-object ({

$sam = $_.USER_NAME

$attrib = $_.extensionAttribute1

write-host "Processing $sam..." -nonewline

get-aduser $sam | set-aduser -replace @{extensionAttribute1="$attrib"}

write-host "Done!" -foregroundcolor Green })

##############################################

It'll be pretty.  And work.

January 12th, 2014 7:51am

Christopher's solution should work for you.

Try it and let us

January 12th, 2014 7:53am

I uploaded a script to the Script Center because I was constantly having to do that
http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Update-User-attributes-bef81480
January 12th, 2014 7:56am

I uploaded a script to the Script Center because I was constantly having to do that

Thanks Brad for sharing it.

That is a cool solution.... :)

January 12th, 2014 8:01am

Scott,

You can paste that in Powershell ISE and save it, or you can paste it in notepad and save it as 'something.ps1'

What you will ensure that you can do is run unsigned scripts.  By default, Powershell will not run scripts that aren't digitally signed by a trusted authority.

To Get Around That:

- Open run Powershell as Administrator.

- Run this command: get-executionpolicy

- If the results are 'Restricted', run this command 'set-executionpolicy bypass' then press enter to confirm.

(If you are not going to regularly write and run your own scripts on this server, you can change it back after you run my script. More info @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176961.aspx

To explain what the script is reading.

1. Import-csv 'yourfile.csv' | foreach-object ({ -- This line is grabbing a file that contains columns

2. $SAM = $_.samaccountname -- I'm just defining a new varibable to use that ensures it's in the right column.  It's not completely necessary, but it helps me understand what I'm doing in the execution line.

3. $attrib = same thing as #2.

4. write-host "Working on $sam..." -nonewline  -- All this is doing is writing to the screen what line it's on so you can following along.  I like to see what is happening.

5. get-aduser $sam -- is using the variable I set before.  So whatever line it is on, it will be using the column 'samaccountname'

6. set-aduser -replace @{extenstionattribute1="$attrib"} --This is the command that was failing you before.  Not all attributes can be set like you were trying before.  For example, '-description "IT Guy' or '-smartcardlogonrequired $true'

7. })    - Closes the loop.

I hope all this makes sense.  If you have previously copied my script, go regrab it again.  I am about to change it.  Line 2 needs to come AFTER line 3.  You can't use '$sam' before defining what '$sam' is :/    

Oops.  Minor details.  Let me know if you have anymore questions.

January 12th, 2014 10:04am

Hey Chris. Thanks for the info. I will give this a try when I get a chance. A couple questions, which might be stupid, but can I run this from an AD module powershell console all in one line. Or do I need to run single parts at once, or do I need to put it into a powershell script and run it?

Also, just for my curiosity, I'm looking at this and I'm curious, does powershell know that "$SAM"=sAMAccountName? 

Thanks again!

-Scott

January 12th, 2014 10:44am

Sorry I didn't see part of your question. ExtensionAttribute1 is literally the exact name of the attribute in AD. It will be used to have PIN# for each of the users in the CSV file. Thanks.
January 12th, 2014 10:46am

Since the Set-ADUser cmdlet accepts sAMAccountNames to identify users, there is no need to use Get-ADUser. I would use

Set-ADUser $_.User_Name @Replace{extensionAttribute1 = $_.extensionAttribute1}

in the ForEach.

January 12th, 2014 2:06pm

True. 30 ways to skin a cat. Lol.
January 12th, 2014 4:32pm

Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

January 13th, 2014 10:03pm

Hello

You should not store any security information (like pin code or password) in AD attributes because all users can read them.

In your example you forgot close brace.

If you see << in console, then you should check all brackets and qiotes.

Good luck)

January 14th, 2014 3:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics