Importing a Azure SQL DB

Hello All,

I am facing a weird issue, can someone please help with this. I have a .bacpac file on the Blob storage, the <g class="gr_ gr_86 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="86" id="86">bacpac</g> file size is around 800 MB. This file was created by doing an export from one of the SQL DB on Azure which is of 4 GB.

While I am trying to import the .bacpac file, only the DB schema is created in the new database, data in the tables is missing. Can someone please suggest with this.

Many thanks

June 30th, 2015 4:55am

Can someone please suggest on this, I am unable to create Database with Data from a bacpac file.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2015 6:53am

Hello Courageous Heart,

I am a program manager in Microsoft and would like to learn more about your experience with Import and Export. How are you going about exporting and importing your database? Can I get the detailed steps for your experience? 

Are you using SSMS, Preview Portal.Azure.com,  Classic Windows Azure Portal, REST APIs, SQLPackage.exe or PowerShell? Would be good to know the export steps as well as the import steps.

Thanks
Kaiv

June 30th, 2015 11:35am

Could you get in touch with me by email so that I can get some information from you that would help me to investigate this behavior? The email address is sgreen at microsoft.com.

Thanks!

July 1st, 2015 2:54pm

I haven't heard back regarding this issue. If you're still facing the problem, could you let us know whether the bacpac was created from a database that was actively being used by other people or systems? Unlike database backup files, bacpac export doesn't guarantee transactional consistency, so having other transactions occurring simultaneously can result in a bacpac whose data isn't deployable. For example, the table data stored in the bacpac could contain a broken foreign key reference. Because of this, for on-prem export scenarios we suggest taking a normal backup (.bak) of your database and restoring it as a new, separate database (either on the same or a different SQL Server instance). You can then safely export from this un-used database without concerns about inconsistent data. For Azure SQL DB scenarios, the scheduled export tool makes a transactionally consistent copy of your database and then exports from that unused database.

July 7th, 2015 12:22pm

Hello All,

Apologies for not being active with <g class="gr_ gr_7 gr-alert gr_gramm Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="7" id="7">this,</g> had some other priority things.

Let me answer all the queries...

1. I have created the <g class="gr_ gr_39 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="39" id="39">bacpac</g> file from the Classic Azure Windows portal by clicking on Import button at the bottom.

2. The <g class="gr_ gr_106 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="106" id="106">bacpac</g> file <g class="gr_ gr_199 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="199" id="199">seem</g> to be good, when <g class="gr_ gr_200 gr-alert gr_tiny gr_spell ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="200" id="200">i</g> tried importing it using <g class="gr_ gr_227 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="227" id="227">sqlpackage</g> the import all went well.

3. So, it was with the import using the classic azure windows portal that was creating issues.

4. We called folks at Microsoft, they suggested to use <g class="gr_ gr_405 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="405" id="405">sqlpackage</g> rather than import <g class="gr_ gr_427 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="427" id="427">db</g> option on <g class="gr_ gr_449 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="449" id="449">azure</g> portal.

5. I understand export does not take into account the current transactional activity, but we <g class="gr_ gr_543 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="543" id="543">dont</g> have any other proper option to export the DB. I <g class="gr_ gr_614 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="614" id="614">cant</g> create a .bak file for <g class="gr_ gr_698 gr-alert gr_gramm Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="698" id="698">a Azure</g> SQL DB, so had to rely on this.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

July 10th, 2015 11:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics