Import doesn't create new SID ?

I want to "clone" a virtual server and run it on the same host (2012R2)  and at the same time as the original.  I was under the impression that if I chose the "copy" option for the import which says it will create a new unique ID that the new virtual would be assigned a new SID but it does not.  I even tried creating a new machine and pointing it to my vhd file but that does not create a new sid either--no matter what, the new virtual always has the same SID as the server I exported in the beginning.  When the import wizard says it will create a "new ID" is it even referring to the SID ?  Also, I have seen blogs which say the SID doesn't even matter ??????

Call me confused.

May 21st, 2015 6:08pm

The virtual machine's unique identifier is for the virtual machine object. The SID is for the guest operating system. Or, the VMID is for the "outside" and the SID is for the "inside". Hyper-V's processes are entirely oblivious to most of the things on the "inside". Import and export do not know anything about the SID.

The only place the SID really matters is for domain controllers, but it also sometimes causes hiccups if you're using WSUS. The best plan is usually to sysprep virtual machines prior to exporting them for cloning pur

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2015 6:27pm

Are you referring to the SID in AD?

Or are you referring to the VM CPUID identifier?

The VM will have a unique identifier within Hyper-V (the UUID of the VM) which is really what the dialog refers to.

(do you want to import the same UUID for the VM, or create a new UUID for the VM (which you would need to do if they are on the same Hyper-V Server).

Eric covered the sysprep if you are cloning.  Otherwise you are making a copy.  And you get into all of the associated caveats - especially if Active Directory is involved.

The 'sid doesn't matter' stuff comes from Mark Russinovich.  And it was all about the removal of the NewSid tool from download.  In reality, the SID does matter, but in the context of the entire computer account / identity in Active Directory, not the SID by itself (as there is more to a computer account than the sid).

May 21st, 2015 6:33pm

Hi Sir,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 23rd, 2015 4:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics