Image Capture Boot Image Fails with 0xc000000f

I am trying to capture a Windows 8.1 Enterprise (with Update) x64 installation using WDS, but the Capture Image fails to load. I used the boot.wim from the Windows Server 2012 R2 (with Update) ISO to create a boot image in WDS and then a capture image from it. After I press F12 and the progress bar finishes the following message appears:

This only happens when I boot the capture image - the original boot image that I imported in WDS boots normally. I also tried with the Windows 8.1 (with Update) boot.wim, but the issue reoccurs. This is a Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2012. Is this a problem with the recent update?

April 18th, 2014 3:18pm

Hi,

Were currently experiencing exactly the same issue. Also a fully-updated Server 2012R2 (with the recent KB2919355 update) machine.

So far, I found two other posts with exactly the same issue:

1) http://wp.secretnest.info/?p=1474
2) http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/472581-wds-capture-image-winload-exe-corrupt-or-missing

According to these posts it seems like the issue occurs after the first time a capture image based upon a Windows 8.1 or Server2012R2 boot.wim is created.

What Ive tried so far is removing the server role, deleting the WDS store, rebooting the server and start over with a Windows 7 boot.wim. The normal boot.wim starts ok, but the created capture image doesnt.

So the process of creating the capture boot image did something in a way the new boot.wim differences from the old boot.wim. To find out what, I first mounted the new .wim file to see if winload.exe is actually there it is both in system32 as well as systen32\boot. So my second guess was that the Windows Boot Manager cannot find the windows loader, because of an incorrect declaration of disks in the BCD store.

I used BCDEDIT to show the differences between the working and non-working boot images:

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {1d214c07-6892-401c-a762-04647ad38560}
device                  ramdisk=[boot]\Boot\x64\Images\boot.wim,{b321afc0-8a23-4
961-85dd-a10f3c46473f}
description             Windows 7 Boot Image
osdevice                ramdisk=[boot]\Boot\x64\Images\boot.wim,{68d9e51c-a129-4
ee1-9725-2ab00a957daf}
systemroot              \WINDOWS
detecthal               Yes
winpe                   Yes

Device options
--------------
identifier              {b321afc0-8a23-4961-85dd-a10f3c46473f}
inherit                 {68d9e51c-a129-4ee1-9725-2ab00a957daf}
ramdiskmcenabled        No
ramdiskmctftpfallback   Yes

-- Second - Non Working disk --

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {872352a0-0ad9-46f6-8612-1aed71ea8534}
device                  ramdisk=[boot]\Boot\x64\Images\boot-win7-capture.wim,{7a
b86a3a-3651-4f50-a748-34f3e784158c}
description             Windows 7 Capture
osdevice                ramdisk=[boot]\Boot\x64\Images\boot-win7-capture.wim,{68
d9e51c-a129-4ee1-9725-2ab00a957daf}
systemroot              \WINDOWS
detecthal               Yes
winpe                   Yes

Device options
--------------
identifier              {7ab86a3a-3651-4f50-a748-34f3e784158c}
inherit                 {68d9e51c-a129-4ee1-9725-2ab00a957daf}
ramdiskmcenabled        No
ramdiskmctftpfallback   Yes

So the ID for the osdevice is the same, and only the device is different, but mentioned correctly under Device options (as far as my knowledge goes in this subject). I hope there will be a solution anytime soon.

• Edited by C-Laze Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:44 PM Added KB article
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2014 10:43pm

Having the same issue here with Server 2012 R2 fully updated - even tried a full removal of the WDS role and a recreation of the remoteinstall folder with brand new boot images - this didn't resolve it.

I am trying a few things now, will update if I progress anywhere.

EDIT: Just tried rolling back KB2919355 - tried the capture image again with no chances, didn't work. Removed WDS Role, re-added and tried again - worked fine. Based on that, I'd say there's a good chance that the problem is due to the above update.
  • Edited by Gavin Stone Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:00 PM adding additional info
April 22nd, 2014 9:23pm

Okay guys, I think the problem is with every version of R2 server. I installed the "Windows 2012 Server (datacenter)" "Win_Svr_Std_and_DataCtr_2012_64Bit_English.iso" and created a capture image using the boot.wim of the same server I Installed and then booted to Capture image and VOILA! Now i'm going to try to use the same capture image that windows 2012 server datacenter built for me and I'll put it in R2 WDS and see if that works. I'm sure it will but ill update if this technique works!!

- Copying good copy of Capture.wim to R2 server didn't work.

• Edited by Mike K Y Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:21 PM
April 22nd, 2014 9:47pm

Just wanted to update my situation with Windows server 2012 Datacenter. Same problem as reported here with Windows 2012 R2 with the exception of update 1. My Windows 2012 Datacenter server does not have Update 1. I was able to get a capture image to work by first creating it in WDS 2008 R2. I then exported the image and imported it to my 2012 Datacenter server. Image boots successfully. For whatever reason, 2012 Datacenter corrupts the capture image when you try a create one.
  • Proposed as answer by trelf Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:37 PM
April 24th, 2014 1:15pm

Totally legit....Creating the capture.wim file on server 2008 then copying to server 2012 worked for us as well.
  • Proposed as answer by trelf Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:33 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by trelf Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:37 PM
May 1st, 2014 7:53pm

MS is being pretty silent on this issue. We don't have a software assurance contract, so no one will talk to us about this bug.
  • Proposed as answer by Jan, IT Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:39 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Jan, IT Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:39 PM
May 30th, 2014 3:22pm

One of the workarounds is to mount the capture.wim file using dism, do not make any changes. Unmount it with /commit switch. 
June 6th, 2014 12:51am

One of the workarounds is to mount the capture.wim file using dism, do not make any changes. Unmount it with /commit switch. 

This worked perfectly; very simple and quick, thank you!!
June 11th, 2014 4:16pm

Here are the exact steps I used to fix the x64 capture image on our production WDS, using Saurabh.k' DISM fix (I assume that you know how to locate the capture WIM on disk, if not it will normally be located in RemoteInstall\Boot\<architecture>\Images\).
  1. Log on to your WDS server and create an empty directory that you can mount the WIM in (I used C:\MountDir)
  2. Open a command line window with administrator privileges, you'll run the two DISM commands here
  3. Mount the WIM file with the command dism /mount-wim /wimfile:<path-to-wim-file> /mountdir:<your-mount-dir-of-choice> /index:1
  4. Unmount the WIM file, committing changes (even though you didn't make any) with the command dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:<your-mount-dir-of-choice> /commit

Worked perfectly in my home lab and our production WDS at work. Both servers were running fully patched versions of Server 2012 R2. The capture image I had at home came from a Server 2012 R2 with Update ISO, while the one at work came from a Windows 8.1 with Update ISO. Neither worked before the fix.

Output from the successful fix at work:

C:\>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images\capture_x64.wim /mountdir:C:\MountDir /index:1

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Mounting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

C:\>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\MountDir /commit

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image File : C:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\Images\capture_x64.wim
Image Index : 1
Saving image
Unmounting image
The operation completed successfully.

These steps helped! Thanks Rolf! dammit Microsoft, this problem was reported in April, today is September 10 2014, still have the problem!
  • Proposed as answer by Sten Lootens Friday, October 10, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Sten Lootens Friday, October 10, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Sten Lootens Monday, January 19, 2015 8:59 PM
September 10th, 2014 9:05pm

Just followed Gavin Stone's advice (Removed KB2919355, removed and added back WDS role) and it's working correctly now.  Thank you so much for that post !

David Harris

• Edited by TessCompany Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:30 PM
October 22nd, 2014 5:29pm

Hi

Here's the solution that worked for me:

Log on to your WDS server and create an empty directory that you can mount the WIM in (I used C:\MountDir)Open a command line window with administrator privileges, you'll run the two DISM commands here

Mount the WIM file with the command

dism /mount-wim /wimfile: /mountdir: /index:1

Unmount the WIM file, committing changes (even though you didn't make any) with the command

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir: /commit

Then add your Capture Image to WDS Boot Image Folder...

• Proposed as answer by MTorabi Wednesday, December 03, 2014 2:17 PM
December 3rd, 2014 2:07pm

The mount, unmount thing only help on the 0xc000000f error.

The black screen error that some of us are getting now, is a new error.

I think it has somthing to do with the driver in the boot.wim but i am not sure yet.

• Edited by Jerslund Friday, December 05, 2014 10:23 AM
December 5th, 2014 10:23am

Same issue here.  Spun up a fresh 2008R2 box, configured WDS.  Created new boot.wim file and new capture image file.  Imported the .wim files from 2008R2 to 2012R2 box.  All is well.

If anyone is need.  here are our windows 8 boot files.

https://docs.google.com/a/marist.com/file/d/0ByvarSY6f0yRcDMzMXd0SjhWM2M/edit

https://docs.google.com/a/marist.com/file/d/0ByvarSY6f0yRZm9oMTJCSDJhQzA/edit

• Edited by MARIST SCHOOL ATL Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:28 PM
  • Proposed as answer by Jerslund Monday, December 15, 2014 8:04 AM
December 10th, 2014 6:22pm

ok guys- here is what i did and what i found to be the problem -

i tried all the above and none of this worked so i ended up stopping my WDS server and built another WDS in hyper v on my file server - and voila! i imported my original boot wim's (capture and custom tools i have made on win pe) and everything works like before.

i also tried copying  winload.efi files from anotherwokring wds server (from another site) but that did not work also the files were exactly the same size hmm

must have been some corruption

my new server is fully patched also and one thing i have done is enabled system recovery, and made sure snapshots are taken before updates take place - so if something goes pear shaped - i can always go back

infact im gonna export this hyper v wds i built and bang it on the physical wds i used to have and turn that into a hyper v host instead.

hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by MR. LONSKi Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:35 AM
January 14th, 2015 4:35am

FYI:

Using a Capture Wim created on a Windows 2008 server solved the issue. Once created I right clicked my existing capture image on the Windows 2012 R2 server and selected replace.

• Proposed as answer by SeanB13 Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:03 PM
February 24th, 2015 7:01pm

NOTE: While this method is clearly not ideal, it does work and works well. I just wanted to share this in case anyone is at the point of pulling out their hair or looking for another solution with Symantec or something else.

So like everyone else I was getting the Black Screen of doom. We have more of a customized setup as I am running Hyper-V on a (2) node 2012R2 Cluster.  From the cluster I stood up a virtual 2012R2 WDS Server in Stand alone mode running DHCP locally as we are not allowed to join this server to the Domain, or AD and is also running in a private VLAN. The goal was to use WDS to image computers with a Dell OEM version of Windows 7 SP1 x86 including updates and custom apps. As it stands OEM is not supported by WDS so we did use a Windows 7 x86 Volume License copy to create the capture and boot images. 

No matter with our with out the KB2919355 or using dism from the server or dism from the AIK tools to unpack/repack the capture.wim, nothing worked. The best I got was a mouse cursor and the black screen. I also tried to capture just the Windows 7 VL, and or Dell OEM with no dice no matter which way I tried. I also rebuilt the server a total of three times as well trying different methods with no updates, all updates except KB2919355, or all updates period. As a work around I went forth and made a custom WindowPE disk to create the image and push it to the server. Below are the steps I took.

---
Create Bootable Windows PE Media (AIK) (POSReady 7)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273179(v=winembedded.21).aspx

NOTE: 
If you need to create a USB thumb drive from an ISO I was able to use ISO to USB, make sure to check mark the Make Bootable option and you should be good to go.
http://www.isotousb.com/

---
Add Device Drivers on an Offline Windows PE Image

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799289(v=ws.10).aspx

NOTE: Make sure to read the comments at the bottom as you need to copy the file winpe.wim to boot.wim before you create the ISO or no drivers will be in your WindownPE

---

Once you have PE usb/cd created you would still do the normal sysprep/ generilze obo /shutdown on the computer you want to create the image from. Once shutdown you then want to boot off the windowsPE disk and then follow the remaining steps to capture the image and place it on the WDS server

Capture the Installation on a Network Share (AIK) (POSReady 7)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273236(v=winembedded.21).aspx

Hope this has been useful for you, good luck and happy deploying :)

• Edited by jtadmin 15 hours 53 minutes ago forgot a word :P
July 3rd, 2015 10:32am

NOTE: While this method is clearly not ideal, it does work and works well. I just wanted to share this in case anyone is at the point of pulling out their hair or looking for another solution with Symantec or something else.

So like everyone else I was getting the Black Screen of doom. We have more of a customized setup as I am running Hyper-V on a (2) node 2012R2 Cluster.  From the cluster I stood up a virtual 2012R2 WDS Server in Stand alone mode running DHCP locally as we are not allowed to join this server to the Domain, or AD and is also running in a private VLAN. The goal was to use WDS to image computers with a Dell OEM version of Windows 7 SP1 x86 including updates and custom apps. As it stands OEM is not supported by WDS so we did use a Windows 7 x86 Volume License copy to create the capture and boot images. 

No matter with our with out the KB2919355 or using dism from the server or dism from the AIK tools to unpack/repack the capture.wim, nothing worked. The best I got was a mouse cursor and the black screen. I also tried to capture just the Windows 7 VL, and or Dell OEM with no dice no matter which way I tried. I also rebuilt the server a total of three times as well trying different methods with no updates, all updates except KB2919355, or all updates period. As a work around I went forth and made a custom WindowPE disk to create the image and push it to the server. Below are the steps I took.

---
Create Bootable Windows PE Media (AIK) (POSReady 7)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273179(v=winembedded.21).aspx

NOTE: 
If you need to create a USB thumb drive from an ISO I was able to use ISO to USB, make sure to check mark the Make Bootable option and you should be good to go.
http://www.isotousb.com/

---
Add Device Drivers on an Offline Windows PE Image

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799289(v=ws.10).aspx

NOTE: Make sure to read the comments at the bottom as you need to copy the file winpe.wim to boot.wim before you create the ISO or no drivers will be in your WindownPE

---

Once you have PE usb/cd created you would still do the normal sysprep/ generilze obo /shutdown on the computer you want to create the image from. Once shutdown you then want to boot off the windowsPE disk and then follow the remaining steps to capture the image and place it on the WDS server

Capture the Installation on a Network Share (AIK) (POSReady 7)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273236(v=winembedded.21).aspx

Hope this has been useful for you, good luck and happy deploying :)

• Edited by jtadmin Friday, July 03, 2015 3:10 PM forgot a word :P
July 3rd, 2015 2:25pm

Works perfectly for me!!!! Yeah Baby!!!! Thank you!
July 8th, 2015 1:27pm

This issue is also present in Windows Server Technical Preview, haven't tried to find the KB patch for it what I did do however is just use an boot.wim from windows 7 and it is able to boot just fine, I'll be testing my images to a VM after they capture.
July 12th, 2015 9:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics