I need some information on Microsoft SQL Azure to my dissertation, could someone help me?
Hi, I am doing a thesis on the subject of the database as a service in the cloud, and I'm analyzing the major vendors that offer a relational database in the cloud. Among these there is Microsoft SQL Azure, and I need some information for my thesis: 1) portability: the database is easily exportable, so save all your data in case you want to terminate the relationship with the cloud provider? 2) transactional capabilities : Microsoft SQL Azure offers the guarantee that transactions meet the ACID properties? 2) Configurability and ability to tune databases: Microsoft SQL Azure can be easily configurable by the user? 3) the database is accessible stand-alone? 4) you can specify the area where data is stored? (for example, region or data center) 5) Microsoft SQL Azure possesses some kind of certification or accreditation/quality assurance? Thanks for the help

September 6th, 2015 4:36pm

Here's my take on your question list.

1. Azure SQL Database is based on SQL Server. Databases are portable between Azure SQL Databases and SQL Server datatbases with the exception of a few incompatibilities (very well documented and often very explainable in the context of cloud benefits). 

2. SQL Database supports local transaction but transactions spanning multiple databases (distributed transaction involving MS DTC) are not supported.

2b. With Azure SQL Database the whole point is to leave as many management feature to Azure itself while still being able to run and configure the datbase so your applications can fully leverage it can be agnostic whether the DB is a SQL Server DB or and Azure SQL Database. Things like the 'master' database, SQL users, backups and even firewall settings are configurable. Low level configuration on how data is persisted on disks f.e. is not configurable because that what Azure will handle for us.

3. You can use SQL Databases without the need to use any other Azure service. In that sense it can be regarded stand-alone. Connections to your Azure SQL Database are based on the same protocols as other db connections. To handle transient fault messages caused by service throttling client can be enhanced with retry logic.

4. Azure resources, like Azure SQL Databases, can be privisioned in multiple regions. It is a decision you make when you setup storage accounts, databases, VM's and other services.

5. The Microsoft Azure Trust Center explains the compliancy Azure offers, many of these also apply to Azure SQL Databases. In addition to that there is an SLA for Azure SQL Database that guarentees 99,99% availability (for the most recent tiers offered) .

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 5:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics