I have large .enc files in My Documents on Windows Server 2008. What are they?
Hi all, When i go to C:\users\administrator\My Documents, i see a file call CompanyName_4496_12011_085427.enc, this file is over 4gb in size. I have the same file (different size) in each of the users folders under C:\users\ What are they and can they be removed?Brad Nelson MCSE/DCSE/A+/Network+/WCSP
June 26th, 2012 3:59pm

Hello Brad, ENC file is widely considered as a kind of encoded file extension saved as UUE format. This file format could be opened by IBM Lotus 1-2-3. It is secure to protect users' privacy as an ENC file. This depends on software you are using. But on the default it is not coming. You can try to backup the file somewhere else and try to delete. And see if something is effected. Sincerely, Murat DemirkiranIf the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2012 4:05pm

Hi, After search we dont find official definition about .enc file in MS website. From internet, the .enc file type is primarily associated with BlackIce Evidence Log File. Often encoded by a specific program, such as IBM Lotus or Adobe Flash, protects the file from being opened by unauthorized users. To find what this file is and which application creates it, I think you may enable audit policy for it. Enable Audit object access policy, you can find it at: Computer Configuration-->Windows Settings-->Security Settings-->Local Policies-->Audit policy-->Audit object access You can configure it through Local policy or Domain group policy, and there are two audit option in the policy: Success and Failure. You can configure Success Audit object access policy then configure Audit for that single file. Find that file (CompanyName_4496_12011_085427.enc), right click to launch properties-->Security tab-->Advanced-->Auditing-->Edit-->Add-->add Everyone group with Full Control permission-->save the setting. Now you can launch eventviewer, and check event log at Windows Logs\Security category, monitor the event logs, you can find event log that record which process accessed this file. For more information please refer to following MS articles: Add users or groups to the Audit list http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782492(v=WS.10).aspx Configuring Audit Policies http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd277403.aspx AD DS Auditing Step-by-Step Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731607(v=WS.10).aspx Hope this helps! TechNet Subscriber Support If you areTechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Lawrence TechNet Community Support
June 26th, 2012 11:29pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem? If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.Lawrence TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2012 10:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics